Trusted Contributor

Re: travel to new york during thanksgiving

Fly to Newark and drive in to NY

Respected Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I live in NJ and this is bad, dangerous advice!  NJ also has 14 day quarantine on out of state visitors.  

Esteemed Contributor

CT, NJ and NY use a common list of states.

If flying into Newark you will have to fill out the Travel Form with contact information.  They might contact you, but they very well may not. NY can levy fines for non compliance,  NJ does not,  but expects compliance. 

Honored Contributor

We had plans to go to NYC during the holidays but we've cancelled.  First, if I were family in NYC I would not want visitors who have been flying coming into my home.  Second, so many venues are closed in NYC, not much to do there.  Stay home.

Respected Contributor

I don't know where you're traveling from, but your trip will probably involve a plane, a train or an automobile. In that case, it'll be nearly impossible for you to avoid exposing yourself to the hordes of other Thanksgiving travelers en route to their destinations. To me, it wouldn't be worth the risk of exposure that you can't control. 

From an enforcement perspective, how can they make you stay there, especially if you drive to your destination? Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see them stopping you at the border and locking you up until the 14-day quarantine period has expired. My question isn't political, it's logistical (and rhetorical). At the end of the day, if they can track you while you're in New York and you can't stay for the 14-day quarantine period, you should stay home and Zoom or Skype into your family gathering.

Respected Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

And that is why the infection rate is rising around the world/country.  People are ignoring the rules in order to "work' for them.  @evelyner you would feel differntly if the person making their own rules infected you or someoene you love.  The guidlines are there for a reason....follow them.

Honored Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

I will be going to new york for thanksgiving to see family. but not sure if it is worth it because they say I have to stay there 14 days because my state is one they want a 14 day quartine? I cannot stay 14 days there. should i not go?

stay home

here in the tri-state rates are going up despite out best efforts ,  

my family lives within 5 miles an I am considering not hosting this year ,  

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The OP asked a reasonable and straightforward question and received assistance. 

They probably didn't expect to be scolded for their state's infection rate.  The lack of tolerance on these boards!

Agreed! A simple or question turns into criticism. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm missing something here. The OP cannot quarantine so isn't that the end of that?  Or is she looking for advice on the way around the quarantine, which some are so freely giving?

And then we wonder why this country is in the shape it's in.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The OP asked a reasonable and straightforward question and received assistance. 

They probably didn't expect to be scolded for their state's infection rate.  The lack of tolerance on these boards!

@Johnnyeager Because the answer is right in the OP.  If she can't stay, then she can't go.  So why is she asking?  I think we see a lot of that now.  I think people are just tired of hearing "yes but" because it's you. . .