Respected Contributor

Re: travel to new york during thanksgiving

There isn't much in the way of enforcement of the so called quarantine rule in NY. I know several firsthand accounts of people coming from a variety of places into NY and didnt obey the 14 day quarantine rule. They went out and about with their lives and nothing happened. One person told me the NY DOH texted her every day reminding her to quarantine but nobody can know what you're doing or where you're going. They do not have the resources for stalking citizens like that. It's more a project of burning the concept into people's brains to discourage them from traveling. I'm not advocating for either way of handling things, just sharing what I know. 

Honored Contributor

Ohio is on NY's list but NY is not on Ohio's list.  If I chose to go to NY, I am supposed to quarantine upon arrival for 14 days.  However, a negative Covid test would get you out of that quarantine. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are now 43 states/territories on NY's list.  The updated list now includes NJ and CT which have shared the same list metrics as NY.  The NY Governor acknowledges that for many practical reasons enforcement is impossible for the neighboring states.

Honored Contributor

My state goes on and off the list periodically, so I can't plan to visit family in NY because it's back on the list right now.

NY does not allow you to test out of the quarantine rule like MA.

Technically I could stay in NY for 14 days and just work from a hotel room during my quarantine, but the cost of a hotel is outrageous right now.  I'm kind of surprised at the pricing.

The main thing holding me back is the rest stops.  I have to stop twice at a minimum.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@tockerman I suggest that you look up NY State's covid-19 travel advisory site. If you come to NY from one of the states on the list, you will have to quaratine for 14 days. You cannot leave the place you are staying during that time. If you are flying in, the National Guard is meeting flights from the restricted states, and you will have to fill out a Traveler Health Form. If you leave the airport without doing so, you will be subject to a $2,000 fine. If you drive, the NYS Troopers are on the lookout for license plates from the restricted states.My children both live in states that are on Cuomo's list. I can go visit them, but then I'd have to quarantine for 14 days when I got back. So, guess who's spending the holidays alone this year.  I would suggest that you skip your trip this year too. It's just not worth the hassle.

Trusted Contributor

@Travone Actually, it means exactly that. Check out NYS's covid-19 travel advisory site. The O.P. would be stuck here for 14 days,  

Esteemed Contributor

Something I don't understand: earlier this week, a co-worker travelled with a group to Niagara Falls, New York. They didn't have to quarantine even though Indiana (the state in which I live) is on the restriction list. Was this list just updated today? Either that, or New York isn't enforcing the restrictions. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

I'm reminded of an old Rolling Stones song, "You can't always get what you want." We Americans are usually a hopeful, outgoing bunch. This pandemic has tested us...our ability to make sacrifices for the public good, as well as to protect oneself, giving up behaviors that we took for granted, doing things we do not want to do. Thanksgiving is a big deal in my family. This year, however, no one will be traveling. We will Zoom together at our respective tables. It's not what we want but the sooner we do what the doctors and scientists advise, the sooner we'll be done with this horror.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

People seem to believe that New York State will tag and trace you when you cross the border.

I suspect that actual compliance is quite low and many visitors enter and leave within the 14 days.  Rigorous enforcement is impossible and relies upon individual compliance. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager - Yes, I'm sure this would be something that is hard to enforce. However, they will be checking at toll booths and bridge/tunnel crossings and they might be more visible with holiday season coming up.

I'm sure my pretty license plate with a palm tree on it would definitely be noticed, lol.