Valued Contributor

i am going to savanah Ga for the first time at thanksgiving. any good places i should not miss 

Honored Contributor

Re: savanah ga at thanksgiving

I advise taking the Trolley Tour of the city, worth the money. They will show you the main attractions. We did enjoy dining at Paula Deen's restaurant, Lady and Sons. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also suggest the Trolley Tour to see the best of Savannah. There are so many places to see there..one of my favorite cities in the south. Should be all decked out for Thanksgiving. The book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was set in Savannah, ask about the cemetery and other places from the book. Very interesting to see...even the cemetery!

Frequent Contributor

Be sure to do the Ghost Tour. It is at night and on a trolley. Interesting facts and a fun time. 

Honored Contributor

I live in Savannah and there is so much to do here, it's just a matter of what your interests are!

From history, architecture, art, food, shopping, haunted houses and the beach.

The trolley tours in the Historic District are very informational and I would also suggest a visit to the Visitor's Center to see what all we have to offer here in Savannah that you would be most interested in seeing.

The Colonial Cemetery is also of great interest to many of our visitors and there are many old homes that are now museums.

River Street in the Historic District is also a big hit with tourists, it's an old cobblestone street that runs along the Savannah River with huge container ships coming in and out of port and was where cotton was stored and shipped from back in the day.

The old brick and stone warehouses are now stores, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

One word of caution about our cobblestone streets, wear comfortable, secure shoes, they can be slippery! 

You may have to get used to how friendly everyone here is, if they make eye contact, they're gonna smile and say hello, LOL!

Here's a good place to start to plan your itinerary:

https://www.visitsavannah.com/

We'll leave the light on for ya'!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

This might sound like a strange suggestion.  Bonaventure Cemetery.  Absolutely beautiful place.  If you Google it you will see what I mean!!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @tockerman  for starting this thread and thanks to those who replied. DH and I are heading to Savannah Wednesday! ❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

@godi 

How cool! Welcome my friend!

One word about what you can expect here weather wise, right now is upper 80's day/70's night with humidity about 45%.

So dress cool with comfortable shoes!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

My brother had his family visit every year during Thanksgiving so they can go to Mrs Wilkes to have lunch. They enjoy River Street...I think just for the candy sold at River Street Sweets. The kids love visiting all of the museums; especially the Children and the Georgia railroad museums. They also enjoyed the trolley rides and Forsyth Park!

Valued Contributor

thank you for sharing that web site with me and I am coming from the cold midwest so hopefully have a warm thanksgiving.