Trusted Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper I agree with your comments. I was born and reared in Chicago and stay in hotels downtown, on the Magnificent Mile, and hotels in Oakbrook.  My favorites have been: the Conrad (under different name and management, connected to Nordstrom, a great Italian restaurant, Osterio, and boutique hotels such as The Talbot, located in the heart of the Magnificent Mile.  The Talbot is near the John Hancock building, tons of great restaurants, and world class shop, e.g. Rag and Bone is directly across the street. I last stayed there in 2021. In Oak Brook, there is entertainment, shopping, and excellent dining. Hotels we use most frequently are the Marriott and The Fairmont. I stayed in a fantastic hotel in close proximity to the Millenium Park the Art Institute, etc,  Several hotels are in the theater district further south on State St. and Wabash Ave.  Chicago has exception museums, zoos, planetarium, and aquarium. I always use Hotel.com or Expedia for hotels and look for bargains in prices.

I am comfortable in most urban, rural, and suburban areas. I take precautions: not wearinng loads of expensive jewelry, carrying a small purse worn across the body, valuables and credit cards in my pockets, no placing purses on the car seat, limited interactions with unknown purses, and being circumspect outside, night and day. exercise these cautions no matter the locale.  My rural/small urban community has begun to experience increased violence that crosses racial, gender, class, etc. lines.  It simply reflects human behavior. Our community is addressing the crime issues in a wholistic manner: commujnity conversations that occur systematically and with pujrpose, mental health counseling, "disrupters.", more law enforcement personnel with one goal of increasing community policing, employment counseling, and so on.  

Chicago has begun to adopt some similar actions and others not listed here.  

I think you will have an enjoyable visit to Chicago and would encourage you to take advantage of all it has to offer. If not convinced, you might limit your movementto the areas between Congress Boulevard--500 South-- to the south (its an east-west thoroughfare);  Augusta Blvd. to the North (apprx. 1600 north; Clark St.-400 west; and Lake Shore Drive-apprx. 600 East.  Those paramenters place you in the heart of shopping, galleries, museums, theaters, dining,  the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, and all manner of activities.

Think of Chicago streets in increments of 100s with State and Madison being the center of the square which would be 0-100 east/west and north/ south.  There are a few major diagonal streets, e.g. Ogden, Milwaukee, and several others.  Chicago has some interesting communities outside of downtown such as "Boys Town," Wicker Park; as well as ethnic neighborhoods such as Pilsen, Chinatown, and Bronzevillle.  Speak with a concierge about venturing into these areas and only seek them out if you are comfortalbe with urban diversity.  Oh, Chicago has great universities and huge medical complexes that may be of interest.

Honored Contributor

We used Trip Advisor to find a Chicago hotel. The room was small with a tiny shower, but it was clean and convenient. All I remember is that we were close to those "corn cob towers" and walked everywhere. The name Wacker Blvd. rings a bell, but it's been years since I went to Chicago. You couldn't get me near that crime ridden city now.

Respected Contributor

We used to get to Chicago regularly, but no more. They are having a lot of crime issues now.  

cwb Chicago dot com 

Maybe just stay in the suburbs???

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Re: restraurants and hotels

[ Edited ]

I was born on the south side and was raised there for twelve years until we left for the south suburbs.  My DH has commuted, using various modes of public transportation, to work in the downtown and north of downtown areas for 30+ yrs.  When the Covid shutdown happened, he began working from home. He has zero plans of returning to the office and will continue working remotely.  We are fortunate that his particular job affords him the option.  We used to enjoy spur of the moment day trips to walk around, visit museums and other places, shop, and eat somewhere fun, but not anymore. Chicago has actually been identified as the country's most corrupt city and it's just not a safe city anymore.  Is it possible for you to stay out of the city and your grandson drive to meet you?

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi I am taking the train from gaslesburg il to chicago.i thought the train depo is near Trump tower?I haven't been to the windy city in over 5 yrs,so maybe I'm a little confused.i can picture t.tower which is near Michigan Ave right?I probably should take the advice and go to a travel agent.yes,I'm aware Michigan Ave is pricey,but I have one thing in mind I'd like to buy,and it happens 5o be there

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch that's the name of the hotel where I stayed,palmerhouse,and got ate up with bedbugs I kid you not.that was the last time I went to chicago

Respected Contributor

@Zernia Rose I remember going to little Italy and chinatown.was not impressed with Chinatown at all.my grandson went to the university, so we walked around his school,went to his favorite taco burrito place,just had a ball.chicago is so fascinating to me!

Honored Contributor

I live across the street from Trump Tower, which is not close to the Amtrak station which I assume you will be be taking.   If I were you, I would stay in Evanston and just take Metra into the city for the day.

There are many hotels either on or close to Michigan Avenue but they are all expensive.  There is a Best Western a couple of blocks away which seems to be popular.

Chicago has gone downhill since the pandemic.  We do not go out at night and the streets on the weekends are very crowded.

Stay safe and enjoy your time with your grandson.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@Desertdi I am taking the train from gaslesburg il to chicago.i thought the train depo is near Trump tower?I haven't been to the windy city in over 5 yrs,so maybe I'm a little confused.i can picture t.tower which is near Michigan Ave right?I probably should take the advice and go to a travel agent.yes,I'm aware Michigan Ave is pricey,but I have one thing in mind I'd like to buy,and it happens 5o be there

@Luvsmyfam     If Amtrak still goes into Union Station...it's a little over a mile walk over to the lakefront...

Try Googling for maps.   And your idea of a travel agent is a good bet.     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Union Station is a short cab/Uber ride and about a 30 minute walk.  Personally, I wouldn't stay near Union Station as it's too quiet after everyone leaves their office.

1D8281A2-56BC-42EF-9F3B-F8BE56F80A09.jpeg

it's not a bad location. Personally, I haven't walked by there in a while; not sure if it was the entrance or not, but I didn't like the lack of foot traffic in that very tiny specific street area. But, for all I know, maybe that was the back of the building! The River Walk is along the other side, so I don't think is as much foot traffic.

I know someone who always stayed at the Sofitel near 900N Michigan when she came for work. Think someone mentioned that further up.  

Near Trump is Purple Pig. Also close to all the RPM's and Siena Tavern. I used to like Quartino. 

You've already been given practical advise re not wearing flashy jewelry, etc. Also, don't open your hotel door to just anyone and don't stick around if you see large groups of kids beginning to congregate.  I'm going to guess these are all things you already know.

Enjoy your trip. You will one of the thousands of people who live, travel and work in the city every day.