Respected Contributor

I am taking a little trip to chicago,and want to stay downtown.any suggestions would be appreciated on hotels and nice restraurants.I have encountered beg bug bites before staying at hotels and am trying to avoid this.I realalize,any hotel can have these pesty bugs.Someone suggested to me,Trump Towers,because it is close to the train station,which I will be using.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  If you can afford it, go for it.

Super Contributor

First, I'd find out where all these shootings are happening (33 last weekend), then I'd stay in the opposite of there.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   Talk to a travel agent.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam I got my best information about going to Las Vegas last month on TripAdvisor forums.

I asked on here & Makeupalley, but didn't get much feedback.

I don't travel, so I am no help at all, but have fun!

Respected Contributor

I live in the western suburbs of Chicago and there are 2 major train commuter stations. I'm too afraid to go downtown now, shootings and crime is everywhere including the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Ave. If someone who lives downtown can chime in here I'm sure it would be much more informative. Don't have your phone in your hand while out, been stealing them too 

Honored Contributor

Tomorrow's room rate is $693 for Trump Chicago 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi freaking kidding me?about 400 over my budget.yes,I've heard about the shootings lately,but haven't seen my oldest grandson in all most a year and just want to wrap my arms around him.to me,it's worth it.he lives in evanston.i thought Michigan Ave would have the best shopping

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

@Desertdi freaking kidding me?about 400 over my budget.yes,I've heard about the shootings lately,but haven't seen my oldest grandson in all most a year and just want to wrap my arms around him.to me,it's worth it.he lives in evanston.i thought Michigan Ave would have the best shopping

@Luvsmyfam    That is the room rate posted on the net....and that would not include tax and other hotel fees.    Check out Evanston hotels....just crossing over the city limits makes a big difference.    I also don't know which "train station" you mean.    Wabash Ave where the Trump is located is near the "L"....and I don't think you mean that.   

Also Michigan Ave shopping is ULTRA EXPENSIVE....ya know....all those "famous designer" places.    Not exactly in the price range for Q girls (!!)

I used to work in the Loop....but it was too long ago to make any recommendations.     Any travel is outrageously priced lately.    (I paid $6 a gallon for gasoline today.)

Best wishes on your search.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I have stayed in both the Palmer House (historic) and the Swissotel (modern) and found both to be clean, pleasant, comfortable and well located.  I walked all around the shopping areas feeling very safe a few years ago. I even went to the lake area and took a boat ride by myself. However, I am from Philly, another big city, and I often go to NYC for the day to walk and shop also, so I am comfortable in the urban concrete jungles!

Hotel costs always fluctuate depending upon time of year, night of the week, etc.  

I agree that there have been increased crime issues in all big city downtown areas since the pandemic, because workers were staying home and foot traffic was greatly reduced. Unfortunately many stores in downtown Chicago are closing permanently.

There used to be a website that listed hotels with bedbugs, but I do not know if it is still working.