Trusted Contributor

"Last Minute" cruise deals or duds?

Does anyone have any experience with booking last minute cruises?  What are the do's and don'ts?  Any info appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Last Minute" cruise deals or duds?

Did so once years ago........

Years ago, my daughter & I were at the travel agency as I was purchasing plane fare for an early return trip back to college during the summer break.

My daughter blurted out to the TA, "before you book my plane fare, any room on a cruise ship to Bermuda?"

TA responded back there was room on the Celebrety cruise line leaving Philly next Sunday.  If I paid cash, the total cost including taxes & fees $500. The cruise was for 7 nights. 

I wrote a check on the spot.  When we found our assigned room, it was a suite, bottle of champagn on ice & a box of chocolates from the TA. faint.gifFirst time "suite" cruising.

Based on my one experience......no cons.  All pros.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

The ships want to fill the cabins. Once they have you on board they hope you will spend more!  

If you have the flexibility to do last minute, you can get a tremendous bargain.

The only challenge may be airfare availability if you are flying to the port.

You just may want to check cabin location/ room configuration.

A while back some cruises used to have bunk beds--sometimes your room could be under the disco!  

Otherwise, celebrate and enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

I went on a cruise and.said it would be nice to go again. It was nice.

Vacations to go.is a site with last.minute cruise information.

Enjoy

Honored Contributor

I know people who live in Florida who book cruises for the following week because they can just drive right to the port.  Not sure a good deal could be had for me, living in Ohio because typically buying airfare at the last minute is expensive.

I get e-mails from Cruise Critic all the time with last minute deals. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend who was on a cruise in Carribean during Doria.  She was in a suite and her one week cruise turned into two weeks.  Wish it was me.  I also have a friend who was on a cruise during 9/11.  Cruise line slipped an offer under her cabin door for basically a free trip (if she stayed on that ship for another cruise).  Cruise lines count on heavy spending once you are on board.

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva@Nuttmeg 

Thanks for the website info.  I also discovered that I can get excellent short time deals via Costco's Travel site.  Now we just have to wait till the Atlantic calms down.