Honored Contributor

Re: packing for 17 day european trip

Been around a bit for work and pleasure.   My tip is to pick a color scheme and carry other color accessories to make a change up.

I frequently use black, camel, and red for all clothing, pack shawls, scarfs, etc of different colors to change look.  Washable underwear.  

One more, go through your closet, are there some easily packable pieces that are nearing their expiration date?  For instance a tee shirt, pack it, wear it 3 times and toss it.  

Most of all, enjoy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

If you wear lightweight underwear, top & bottom, they can be laundered in your room overnight.   Your outer clothing can be re-worn without laundering.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a facebook group......Travel Fashion Girl......where they are packing wizards with a lot of good advice.   There is also a website   www.travelfashiongirl.com

Valued Contributor

DH and I have taken several trips to Europe and transitioned sometime ago to using 2 carry-on size suitcases which we check.  We each take a small wheeled carryon and a daypack or totebag on the plane with us.  The wheeled carryons will stack on our checked bags so we don't have to lug anything heavy around airports or getting to a hotel.  We tend to use trains which is what got us to downsize our luggage.

In the wheeled carryons are an extra shirt or 2, underwear and PJs as well as all our toiletries.  If our bags went missing we could get by for a few days.  We also split our things between the cases so if one gets delayed we both have clothing with us.  For a 2-week trip we will pack 4 pants each (I might pack a skirt) and 6 to 8 tops.  If traveling in cold weather I take thin Tshirts to wear under sweaters and launder the Tshirts.  I might be able to do laundry in the sink but DH cannot so we used to go to laundromats but now we are more likely to use the hotel laundry.  I always research laundromat options as the hotel laundry service was unavailable when we got to Florence a few years ago.  The laundromat we found there had a capuccino machine, laundry can be a bit of an adventure.

Respected Contributor

Enjoy your trip.

Respected Contributor

Wow, packing is not my strength.  What excellent suggestions!

Trusted Contributor

Check out the Travel Fashion Girl. She has tons of tips for going anywhere in the world. Packing cubes will be your best friend.

New Contributor

I did a 2 week, 4 county trip in a carry on and backpack. Choose light weight silky type fabrics for most clothing. These fabrics wash and dry qluickly in the sink  and hang to dry overnight, and roll into small balls easy to pack. liquid knit, slinky fabrics etc. a very light cargo pant i wore the most its leg rolled into a crop pant or long when needed. i bougt a very light packable back pack to use as i was touring for the day rolled into small ball when not needed. 

Respected Contributor

As suggested, you can wash your undies out in the sink, same with shirts or pants if they are washable.  One travel tip:  use the hotel shampoo to wash out your clothes.  It works like a dream and is replaceable every morning!  

Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure if I posted it here or another Travel thread, but once I discovered a blog called 'The Vivienne Files', I no longer stressed about packing.  Here's a link to the author's 4x4 (16 pieces) travel wardrobe concept:

.  http://www.theviviennefiles.com/four-by-four-wardrobes/

There's so much more on her blog, about building capsules in your wardrobe based on color combos taken from a scarf or art or nature.  I usually add the scarf last, but she starts with the scarf and builds pieces arount it.  Makes packing a whole lot simpler.  

I start putting things in the color families that I'm taking in one section of the closet weeks ahead of time, then whittle it down to 16 pieces.  It really helps to keep my head on straight! Depending on the clothing, you could fit most of it in a carry on. Of course, it helps if the fabrics are easily dryable overnight.  I usually take two/three tops of that nature.  Pack only a week's worth of underwear - wash them once in a place for more than two days.  

Good luck and have a wonderful time!  I wish I were coming with you.