Respected Contributor

packing for 17 day european trip

Packing light is hard to do...anyone have suggestions for laundry while in europe? We are going for 17 days and 5 countries so don't want to carry too much.

When we went to Italy, the laundry facility in our hotels were so small, very busy and many did not work. And these were in very nice hotels.

Honored Contributor

Re: packing for 17 day european trip

Have fun!

The one time that I traveled light we went for two weeks to Italy. We traveled around the country by train so I only had a carry on and another smaller bag.  From what I remember (9 years ago) I had LOTS of undies ...several tops and maybe 2-3 pairs of pants (I don't do dresses or skirts).  A cardigan ot two and jacket.

As for shoes I only brought a single extra pair.

Honored Contributor

I went on a two week road trip with other people and only took a carry-on suitcase and a tote bag.  I had a clean shirt + long pants for each of 14 days.  I was able to do this because I used dual use Space Bags.  You roll them to get the air out or sit on them (my technique).  I got them at Walmart.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have done some trips with only a carry-on. One trip was to Russia for two weeks and another one was to Iceland/Greenland for three weeks. Was great not to stand in the carousel line for your luggage or worry that your clothes don't make it to your destination.

I did it mainly to prove I could do it, but also I kept thinking....."the people I meet won't know that I am wearing the same thing I wore three days earlier, or will wear in another two days."

For me, it is all about layering and taking a scarf to dress something up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am a big time traveller (76+ countries, all states).  Begin with washable basic color (I use black) and accents (shirts, scarves).  I pack one pair shoes plus what I'm wearing.  As previously stated, lots of underwear.  Everything except outer jacket is hand washable so I do it in the sink, roll moisture out with towel, hang near heat or breeze.  I wash whenever I'm in a place more than one night.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchased 3 or 4 pairs of ExOfficio underwear and would wash out at night.  They dry quickly.  Also purchased a small container of travel wash.  You can purchase them at REI.

Respected Contributor

Search Pinterest under “packing for 14 days in Europe”. In the summer, they had all kinds of pins with a variety of packing guidelines. 

Valued Contributor

i think the best solution is to take at least one of us to do the laundry. we are a resourceful group and i'm sure we will be able figure it out. you should not have to be concerned with such details (smile).

Esteemed Contributor

I have done up to 4 weeks with 3 pairs of pants, six tops, one sweater, one jacket, one nightgown, 6 panties, 3 bras and 2 pairs of shoes.  Once you make up your mind that this is ALL you are fine.  If you work it right you can use a backpack.

I also just bite the bullet and use the hotel laundry service.  After all you did not travel that far to waste your time.  The shock of the bill won’t kill you 😂

Respected Contributor

We did two weeks in England at xmas a few years ago.  I took two pair of black casual pants, 4 light long sleeved tops and 2 sweaters.   A heavy coat.  One pair of shoes in addition to the ones I wore in flight.   Nightshirt and plenty of panties.   No bras.    With two layers and tiny ******, I didn't need one.  The nice thing about traveling in winter is less clothes to pack.   I find that summer travel requires way more clothes.  You really have to change everyday but traveling in winter >  no sweat and no need to change every single day.  One top can go for two days easily.   Especially if you hang it in the bathroom after wearing.

Have a great trip.