Valued Contributor

martha vineyard, Ma cape cod

going to boston over Memorial day should i drive to these islands or take a ferry. I noticed that they have a ferry off boston harbor or should i rent a car.

Honored Contributor

Re: martha vineyard, Ma cape cod

Cape Co is not an island, it is lovely and beautiful.

Martha Vineyard is a 40 minute ferry from Falmuth (Cape Cod) it is beautiful, remote and pricey

and you need a car

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Cape Cod is not an island, you can drive to the Cape from wherever you are coming from.  Martha's Vineyard is an island so you do have to take the ferry from from a number of places.  You can get the ferry from New Bedford, Woods Hole, Falmouth and one or two other places.  I've been there more times than I can count and we have never needed a car.  It's a small island and there are taxis, there's a bus, many people bike around the island and there are the ride shares, Uber and Lyft.  There are many more of them on the island than there were a couple of years ago.  You can find all the information anyone could ever need about Cape Cod and the Islands online.  

Honored Contributor

Whatever you choose to do have a wonderful trip.  That area is one of my most favorite in the area, love New England !!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

You do need to take the ferry over to Martha's Vineyard and to Nantucket Island.  Depending on how long you're staying and where on the island would determine if you need a car.  A day in Oak Bluffs?  Everything is within walking distance. We usually stay in Edgartown, so always have a car.  If you want to see up island- Aqquinah, then you'll need a car.  You can rent on the island but cheaper to rent in Boston.  @tockerman 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you take a car, check out the price for the ferry and make reservations which I think are required.  If you're only going to MV for a day or 2, I wouldn't take a car.  Any longer, I would.

LOVE Martha's Vineyard.  Haven't made it to Nantucket yet but hope to someday.

Honored Contributor

IMO, New England, the best area of the country and I've been around this country. , But, of course, others have their favorites.  Don't miss Cape Cod, Martha's Vinyard, and Nantucket, very unique island, if you have time.  

We took the ferry to MV, flew to Nantucket.  Depends on whether you want to walk or drive around the islands.  There are a lot of cars during tourist season, finding a place to park can be tricky.

Nantucket is small.  You can rent a car and bicycle, or walk. 

Don't miss the historic areas of Boston.  

Respected Contributor

I flew (tiny commuter plane in the middle of all those jets...a riot) from Boston to Nantucket. Beautiful! The B and B we stayed in offered a shuttle to various parts of the Island. Got there quickly.

Respected Contributor

Driving to the Cape on memorial day weekend? You will have An  Over Abundance of Company on the road.  Beautiful, Popular place to spend Memorial day weekend and not a lot of roads to take to get in and out of there.

Esteemed Contributor

I live an hour and a half outside of the Cape and the trick is to leave really early in the morning to get over the bridge without bumper to bumper traffic.  Memorial day weekend is a big weekend out there, very popular.  If you plan right you will be fine.  Enjoy it and take the 6A scenic drive instead of the highway.  You cannot beat the quaint little restaurants and shops along the way.  Enjoy!  Oh yeah, and I always pack a cooler in the car, it has come in handy more times than not.

As far as the Vineyard, definately can do without a vehicle.  Much easier to get on the no car ferry as the one with cars has to be reserved well in advance as it sells out quickly for the season.