Valued Contributor

how would you rate a carnival curise

want to take my first cruise over Thanksgiving and found this one at like 250 a person.  if you do not think it is a good cruise line which one would you choose. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: how would you rate a carnival curise

@tockerman 

It was a free for all.  Kids running everywhere, throwing shoes down on people from upper levels, etc.  All that said, we had a great time. 

Respected Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

want to take my first cruise over Thanksgiving and found this one at like 250 a person.  if you do not think it is a good cruise line which one would you choose. 

Carnival was the first line I used and paid just a little more for a 2 person room with a balcony. We sailed in August and it was a little shaky on the seas but after the first couple of days the trip was really enjoyable. The rooms were clean and there was plenty of entertainment on the ship and for the most part the lines were not that long. Be prepared (bring comfortable shoes) as you will do a great deal of walking.

We cruised to the Bahamas and I enjoyed the small 4 day cruise. I am so glad I lost several pounds before cruising because I gained it all back plus some extra.I planned on taking another one but never got around to it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first cruise was on Carnival maybe 25/30 years ago and all recent cruises have been on Royal Caribbean.

It’s hard to say given the info provided, but can say you get what you pay for. You’re paying $250 for how many days? I assume that’s a weekend on one of their oldest ships. When was the ship last refurbished? And weekends are notoriously “booze cruises”

If you’ve never cruised before, you will not get a good idea of the true experience on an old tired ship, regardless of the cruise line. If you are going because you just want to relax in the sun and maybe have some fun, almost anything will do.  But, if you want the frills you see in the commercials, you may not get that.

Honored Contributor

Have not been myself, but I hear that Carnival is the bottom of the barrel as far as quality. 

Super Contributor

Re: how would you rate a carnival curiseanr

Carnival was my first cruise. great if you love crazed kids and people over-drinking. a hot mess. best for teens and very young adults. 

LOVE Princess, Holland and best: Royal Carribean. 

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on the person.  I have been on different ones.  I think it depends on what you expect.  Or how pickey you are.  Do you mind  it not being luxury, more of a party ship, or casual ship etc.  do you want gambling on the ship?  What kind of food do you like?  Are you more casual, or do you want more fancy dishes all of the time?  Do you mind kids or no kids on the ship?  Think of these different things...I think these things will help you decide what type of cruise line you might choose.  For me...Carnival  definately more for adults.  Definately casual, Food was fine, but not fancy.  I have had better food on other cruise lines.  But it was fine.  I do agree you get what you pay for.  But I would go on Carnival again. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've only been on one Carnival cruise, we prefer Royal Caribbean.

I didn't have any complaints about Carnival, but once we sailed

RC we just liked it better. Some people see Carnival as a party

experience, while RC may be more laid back and relaxing.

I hope you have a great time.

Honored Contributor

Carnival is not considered to be luxury cruise line, so you know that going in. $250 a person is a bargain.  You could pay that much for a hotel for one night.

I would just go.  You get a vacation where you don't have to cook or lift a finger.  If the cruise is for two nights, that $125 a day!  If it's for more than 2 nights, it's a steal.

If you want to spend more, I am sure you can find a more expensive cruise, but why would you?

Honored Contributor

"take my first cruise over"

If you want your first cruise experience to be one big party, the Carnival cruise is right up your alley.  Why do you think the cruise ship is called Carnival? Smiley LOL

My first cruise was on a Carnival line-7 nights.  I was 30 something at the time.  Had a blast!  I needed another vacation just to recover.

The things cruisers do who drink from sun up till the ship docks back home. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif