Honored Contributor

Re: carry on or check bags??

@Sammijo10 Thank you for posting about the Vivienne Files. I have never heard of that before. I checked out her website and find it fascinating. Actually, it just makes sense, doesn't it? ha!

I clicked on different links on her page and found so many ideas. Hard to pick just one of the color combination choices.

I have gotten the packing/wearing thing down pretty good, being able to travel with just a 21-inch carryon on a two-week trip to Russia and a three-week trip to Iceland/Greenland. And yet, I didn't make it work the way she suggests.

I may pick one of her combinations and see if I can make it work. To me, a scarf makes all the difference when you want to go with just a few pieces of clothes. Dresses up anything and completely changes the look of an outfit. Plus, it doesn't take up much space!

Respected Contributor

This is exactly how I pack.  I went on a 6 week cruise with this many clothes..and it worked well .  No one cares how many times you wear the same thing. 

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler, don't you just love her blog!?  Its so cute the way she creates a little story about each of her wardrobe ideas. She pulls the color combos out of art or a scarf.  It was a slap the head moment for me as I always try to hook up the scarf with the outfit AFTER I've decided the outfit.  The other way around is genius!  She also has schemes for weekend travel and I think there's also a three/three scheme for shorter trips.  I'm taking a short 7 day trip in April (North and South Carolina), and may try the three/three plan for that in a carryon.

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 Totally agree! And there is so, so much to read and look at. If you click on all the links, well....let's just say I would have to devote a day to her blog! ha!

The 3/3 kind of caught me off guard. So that is just for shorter trips? Then technically, if you are gone a couple of days there would be a 2/2 plan? ha! Know what I mean?

Yes, I never thought about going with the scarf first. What I found was that I wanted to check out all the color combinations and pick which one I think goes best with my skin coloring, then go with what she suggests. Some of them, like anything that had orange in it, just would make me look gross! LOL!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone’s advice is good...but I would also take an extra pair of shoes... If you end up having to walk through some standing water or mud, it can take days for your shoes to dry....and you don’t want to waste time looking for new ones..make sure to take a pair to wear until the others are wearable again. I put a compact umbrella inside my extra pair in my bag so it’s takes no space. I take a backpack as my purse and a wheeled carry-on. The lighter, the better!

Respected Contributor

When you see the same travelers on a small river boat I notice??? One woman wore the same knit dressy pull on red pants top and jacket. She wore the same outfit every day for two weeks and similar dressier set for a dress up dinner. Her husband wore a crisp pin stripe ironed shirt for a week. That was a bit too sparse and I would be totally bored. As Rick Steves travel staff say they dont hear of travelers saying," I wish I brought more stuff. "I am learning the more I travel. We get one checked bag but I still have to handle it to get checked and unchecked and customs. I am reading blogs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite 

I have the Lug Puddle Jumper which measures douuble straps and 10" to 24" strap drop, weighs 2 lbs, 5 ozs, and it is the perfect carry on, I plan on using it in a few  weeks when  I travel

https://www.qvc.com/Lug-Puddle-Jumper-Travel-Bag-with-Packable-Carry-All.product.F12670.html?upsh=1&...

@tsavorite wrote:

F13251 Lug.....I recently picked up this bag....it is so cute but it's large!  Anyone else have it and is this something that can be carried on airplane?  I am thinking it might be too big and should send it back for that reason...24" by 17" by 7.5" 

https://www.qvc.com/Lug-Quilted-Travel-Tote---Aerial-2.product.F13251.html?upsh=1&sc=F13251-CSWB

I am glad I read thur this topic as I had no idea what it is like going thur Europe...you ladies really know your stuff!  But I can't see my husband agreeing to 2 pairs of underwear and washing them in sink LOL! His hanes wouldn't be dry over night (I don't think they would).  

Oh boy there is so much to consider before embarking on a trip like this....Woman LOL

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.