Respected Contributor

Re: booking off airbnb web site

I almost did last Spring.  I thought the hotel options in the area we were looking at were too expensive.  When I looked into airbnb and added it all up, it came out pretty close to the hotel prices and sometimes more.  Airbnb fees differ.  We found some that charged $50 cleaning fee, and others $200 plus.  Also, some will provide  towels, sheets, toilet paper, etc. and some it's bring your own.

Respected Contributor

Hear good comments about ArBnB, etc but read something disturbing that I want to pass on.  Young adults rented ArBnB in Nashville.  Left keys, computers etc in home while they went out using Uber.  Home was entered with no forced entry and cars, etc stolen. Police report that its happening frequently.  I don't mean to talk ill of Nashville because I have a feeling this might be happening elsewhere.  What a sad state.

Honored Contributor

How do you know one isn't in a bad section of town?  That would worry me.  And how do you know the sheets have been washed lately?  

Honored Contributor

We used VRBO once maybe 6 years ago.  They held our money for 24 hours over the weekend while the owner was not replying.  Turns out this was a realtor misrepresenting the property at a very attractive price and it was not available.  At that point she said she and her friends had several houses available in the area. (to be rented directly)  Her photo was also by a professional.  Now that I'm more familiar with these websites I would have turned her in and hopefully got her bounced.