Valued Contributor

anyone traveling on thanksgiving day

how far in an advance should i be at the airport? I never travled by airplane on this day before? only flying in the us. just afraid it will be packed. 

Regular Contributor

Re: anyone traveling on thanksgiving day

In the early 2000s I frequently flew on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas.  Planes weren't empty, but it wasn't the zoo the day before either of these holidays can be.  I didn't travel long distances (200-750 miles tops).  Somewhere near 2007 or 2008 I noticed that people had caught on to this and I stopped doing it. It wasn't total mayhem, but the downside of it in my case, was no longer exceeded by the upside.   

Regular Contributor

To answer your question, I'd follow TSA guidelines on when to arrive or look up your local airport's website for guidance.

Respected Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

how far in an advance should i be at the airport? I never travled by airplane on this day before? only flying in the us. just afraid it will be packed.

As early as you can get there.  If you have a car to park in long term parking, that fills up fast.  If you have to wait in line to check in luggage (that takes more time), even if you did on line check in.  And then, of course, the security lines.  If you're flying out of a notorious busy hub like ATL, EWR, Chicago O'Hare.... it will be even busier.  And don't forget about the traffic getting to the airport.  It's the busiest time to fly.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Flying on the actual holiday is typically much less hectic than the days leading up to it, but you'll still need to allow yourself plenty of time, particularly if you're an infrequent traveler. 

Your airline's website should give you plenty of information regarding what time they suggest you arrive, but it also makes a big difference which airport you're departing from. If I'm departing from my home airport, I know I can get from curb to gate in 10 minutes, including dropping my bag and clearing security. If I'm departing from LGA on a Monday morning, I get there 2 hours ahead of time without a checked bag. Also, keep in mind, if your airline says you should be there 2 hours ahead of time, that means you need to be in-line at the check-in desk, not just pulling into the long term parking lot. 

You can also download the TSA app to see what the wait times are at the security checkpoints and possibly re-direct yourself to a more lightly used line. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

What @ScrapHappy said. Busiest travel day of the year on roads, rails and especially by air.

Honored Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

Depends on the airport.  From personal experience, flying out of Phila International on Thanksgiving Day, normal crowds.  Most folks have flown to their destination the previous day.

Holiday or not, I always arrive 3 hours before flight time.  The security lines are long from 10:00 am - 8:00pm.

Traveling out of 30th St Station (Amtrak) on Turkey Day, you're lucky to get to your destination the day after. faint.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My experience is old, but for many years I flew early Thanksgiving morning with almost no issues- no crowds, spare seats, etc.  Even changed planes every time but once without trouble -  that time my luggage came in a few hours after I did, but it was delivered to my destination before we sat down to dinner!  In those days, the airlines knew traffic was light -  fares were less than other days of the week. 

Honored Contributor

When my GD was younger I always flew home on the actual holiday & took the first flight non-stop of the day.  I found the airport (TSA lines) shorter and got thru fast.  The fares used to be cheap but not lately. 

Last year, I needed to come home for company on 12/27 ...ohboy, flying 12/26 was truly a nightmare.

Now I fly 3-4 days before (and I hate holiday travel).  I think there will be more travelers this year as Christmas falls on a Tuesday giving most a long weekend/holiday.

If traveling this year I would definitely follow the 2-hour suggested timeframe.