Respected Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Island Destination?

@World Traveler wrote:

@SANNA Did you take that picture? It is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing! Heart

Yes! Thank you very much! This photo I took from the highest point of the island, Monte Solaro, you get there by chairlift. You really get fabulous views, the whole island is like this, super gorgeous! Best views in the world!!!! Soooo blue! I miss it....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler this is but one of the many pink sand/water beaches around the world.  There are lots more.  

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis I don't believe I have ever personally seen a pink beach. It is quite remarkable to view. So different. I have seen black sand, but never pink. Thanks for posting the photo. I love learning about new places to go and unique views like this one was for me.

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite island destination is ARUBA!! It's the most magical place on earth.We have been going there every summer for about 6 years.

- It has no hurricane season unlike most other islands.

- The people are so happy & friendly.

_ There's no poverty.

_ The sky is a beautiful shade of blue.

_ The beaches are beautiful & clean.

_ The food is fabulous.

_ Crime is not an issue.You can go anywhere & feel safe.

_ Very few mosquitoes.

_ The water is safe to drink.

I read somewhere that if you make a list of everything you like about all the various islands & put it all together you would get Aruba!!  I couldn't have said it better!!

Honored Contributor

Hi @NicksmomESQ.  I've never been to Aruba and really want to go.  Everything on your list is probably true except about crime not being an issue.  I think crime is everywhere, just different degrees of it.  There was a high profile murder in Aruba about ten years ago and her body was never found.  My thought is that she had a false sense of being in a safe place but wasn't.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie I know what you're saying.Her murder was front & center!! That being said,that was one horrific incident by one crazy person. She was also a kid who went off to be alone with a stranger!!

I know a lot of people who have been going there regularly for 20- 30 years, my hairdresser,dental hygienist,lawyer etc. We all walk around there unafraid & feeling totally safe.It really is one of the safest islands.No place is 100% safe.But in my opinion Aruba is safer than most places. 

Honored Contributor

We have visited many Caribbean Islands.  Our favorite is Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda.

LOVE!

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

United Kingdom is our go-to getaway. We live on a lake, I used to live on the ocean, and tropical vacations bore me.

@libbyannE, the thread is about "Islands."  

@itiswhatitis

Get a map. It IS an island. Sheesh.

Contributor

Hamilton Island, Queensland, Australia

on the Great Barrier Reef

Hub for access to many other islands

Heron Island, Queensland, Australia

on the Great Barrier Reef

World class eco-resort

Lovely resort, but very environmentally conscious

Breeding ground for several species of seabirds

Natural hatchery for sea turtles

Phenomenal snorkeling & diving

We took a long cruise on the Coral Princess, a very small ship, up and down the Great Barrier Reef coast of Queensland, Australia.  It was an adventure we will remember all our lives. 

Be aware that there are certain seasons when it is not safe to go into the water along the GBR coast of Queensland because of the very tiny lethal Irukandji ( ear-oo-kun-gee) jellyfish congregating in the water.  You want to be able to enjoy the watersports. 

British Virgin Islands including Tortola & more

Great sailing, snorkeling

In sight of Sir Richard Branson's private island,

vacay destination of celebrities

Grand Cayman

Swim with the tame stingrays

Hawaii

Contributor

For those who get motion sickness, taking GINGER tablets is an effective non-drug way to quell the queasiness.  I can't say it would totally prevent motion sickness if you are super-prone to it, but it has worked great for me in a number of boat/ship situations.