Super Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Island Destination?

@tdog wrote:

My favorite so far is St. John. Jamaica and Tortola follow. Then Martha'a Vineyard.

I'm embarassed to admit that I've never been to Martha's Vineyard (or Nantucket, for that matter) despite the fact that I live in Massachusetts.  I've been so fortunate to travel to many places around the world, and yet I've never been to an island in my own back yard!  One of these days I'll get there ... 

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SANNA is it Tropical?  It looks beautiful.

No, it is Mediterranean, it is part of Italy, near Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi coast.

But this is true paradise on Earth and the most romantic one!!!!! So in love.

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

Although I live just two miles from the beach (in New England - hardly tropical!), when it comes to vacation, I am more inclined to go for mountain scenery than sand and sea.  I have, however, had a few great island vacations.

I absolutely loved Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan region of Mexico.  The island is located very close to Cancun, and is only accessible by boat.  It is very small and the only way to get around is by taxi or golf cart.  Isla has a shade of turquoise blue water that I've never seen anywhere else.  The food was incredible, it was quite inexpensive, and the people were so friendly.  We went a few years ago, and at that point Isla was just being "discovered' and you could see that it was starting to get built up. I'm sure if we went back (which we hope to do), it would not be the same.  

I've also been to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), and although both were beautiful, it's a long flight from Boston and, to be honest, I think there are other places that are just as pretty. Bermuda comes to mind.  I know it's not really tropical, but Bermuda really is lovely.  Incredibly expensive, but lovely.

I was recently reading a magazine (don't know which or what month because I'm so far behind in my magazines) but they more or less featured Isla Mujeres and said it was fast becoming a favorite vacation destination for many and was really being built up.  Years and years ago my sister and I took a trip there when we went to Cancun but honestly, there wasn't much there. Now I'd love to go back.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie, I can so sympathize with you and the motion sickness because I am the same way. Except dramamine or any OTC stuff doesn't help me.  I have to get a script from my doctor.

I have been like this from the time I was small.  I never could ride in the backseat of a car without taking something, riding a bus was the same way as was riding rides at an amusement park.  We own a boat and everytime we go out I have to take something to avoid being ill. 

DH and I are going on a cruise in May and I'm already getting nervous about what to do for that.  Some have said to get the patch and I'd be fine, others have said the patch made things worse for them and they got super dizzy.  Some said you don't even feel the waves on a ship because it's so big but they are the ones who don't get motion sick.  Some can just take a ginger tablet but that doesn't work for me either.      

I will say I had to have surgery and from past experience, I get sick from the anesthesia as well.  They gave me the patch among other things and I was perfectly fine. 

Honored Contributor

I'd have to try a couple out first...............hahahahaha. 

Respected Contributor

When we took our Hawaiian cruise and stopped at the "Big Island" I remember thinking how blue the water was - almost like someone had poured blue food coloring in!

Honored Contributor

Oh, wow @Lipstickdiva, you are echoing my story, lol.  Same thing with me about amusement park rides, busses, swings, rocking chairs.  I couldn't like to ride a bike because that made me sick, too.  I was a very dull kid, lol.

Back in 2000, I did take a cruise and I just used Dramamine with no problem except for once when I was going to deport to one of the stops and the flat boat that we got on was swaying like crazy.  Within minutes, luckily before everybody boarded, I started feeling sick.  I got off immediately, got a refund for that part of the trip.   So, although the ship might not give you a problem, be careful of those boats they use to transport you to land.

My sister uses a patch for her cruises and has never had a problem.  I hesitate to use one because one time I had a bout of vertigo for weeks and the doctor gave me one.  It stopped the dizziness but the doctor had me wear it too long, I guess, because when I took it off my neck, I itched like crazy for days.

When I had my first colonoscopy, I was nauseous and throwing up.  When the nurse called that day to check on me and I told her how sick I was, she said it probably was the anesthesia that caused it.  Next time I scheduled the colonoscopy, I asked the doctor if I could take a Dramamine before hand and he said yes.  No nausea!

One of my sisters uses Bonnie and can't use Dramamine, so maybe you can try that if you ever need OTC.

Enjoy your cruise.  Sounds like you need the patch.  Maybe it comes in different strengths.  Anything too strong can make you nauseous, too.  Lol, I can't be in a room with fresh paint (I have a story about that for another time) or Clorox either.  I'm messed up, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

When we took our Hawaiian cruise and stopped at the "Big Island" I remember thinking how blue the water was - almost like someone had poured blue food coloring in!

@itsmagic, this is what I like most about Tropical Islands.  Blue water, but it is crystal clear.  I so love it and find it fascinating.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Pink Beaches of Barbuda

Barbuda

*Call Tyrone*
Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

Although I live just two miles from the beach (in New England - hardly tropical!), when it comes to vacation, I am more inclined to go for mountain scenery than sand and sea.  I have, however, had a few great island vacations.

I absolutely loved Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan region of Mexico.  The island is located very close to Cancun, and is only accessible by boat.  It is very small and the only way to get around is by taxi or golf cart.  Isla has a shade of turquoise blue water that I've never seen anywhere else.  The food was incredible, it was quite inexpensive, and the people were so friendly.  We went a few years ago, and at that point Isla was just being "discovered' and you could see that it was starting to get built up. I'm sure if we went back (which we hope to do), it would not be the same.  

I've also been to Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), and although both were beautiful, it's a long flight from Boston and, to be honest, I think there are other places that are just as pretty. Bermuda comes to mind.  I know it's not really tropical, but Bermuda really is lovely.  Incredibly expensive, but lovely.

I was recently reading a magazine (don't know which or what month because I'm so far behind in my magazines) but they more or less featured Isla Mujeres and said it was fast becoming a favorite vacation destination for many and was really being built up.  Years and years ago my sister and I took a trip there when we went to Cancun but honestly, there wasn't much there. Now I'd love to go back.

My husband and I went about 5 years ago.  Like I said, it wa starting to get built up, but at that point the island still retained an "undiscovered" vibe.  For example, much of the downtown area was still just sand.  Now, I'm sure it's all been paved over (I hope not!). When we went, there wasn't a whole lot to do, and I'm surprised I liked it as much as I did because generally when we are on vacation we like to be on the go.  There's just something about Isla that got under my skin.  I'd love to go back.