Esteemed Contributor

Re: Your Favorite Island Destination?

My favorite  vacations are wildlife focused (with a mix of city).  So I've enjoyed Borneo and, most recently, Kangaroo Island. 

I guess I'm one of those people who say their next vacation/island/whatever is my favorite!

Honored Contributor

Vancouver, BC

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Quse wrote:

Scotland. Does that count?
Not so jazzed about the tropical. I tend to like cold weather.

Good for you.  I was thinking Tropical though the title doesn't say so.  Wonderful.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

United Kingdom is our go-to getaway. We live on a lake, I used to live on the ocean, and tropical vacations bore me.

@libbyannE, the thread is about "Islands."  

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Quse wrote:

We went to Scotland in June several years ago, and it was so cold that I remember wishing I had mittens!  I did love it, though.  Edinburgh, in my opinion, is very underrated. I thought it was absolutely beautiful.  I also loved St. Andrews.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to any other parts of Scotland.  I guess I'll have to add that to my bucket list!

@ZoetheCat We went there on our honeymoon, many years ago. Way up North to my husband's ancestral clan castle. All the pictures on the castle walls looked like someone in his immediate family, his sister, his brother. It was a riot! We drove around Loch Ness (uneventful) and way up to the very tip, to the sea. That was a VERY cold and damp wind, but a beautiful little town.

I hate traveling, but would jump at a chance to go back and bring my daughter, now that I know more about the clan history (thank you, Outlander...lol)

Valued Contributor

My favorite so far is St. John. Jamaica and Tortola follow. Then Martha'a Vineyard.

Esteemed Contributor

Not tropical, but I love Wye Island (Chesapeake bay) and the San Juans.

Used to live on the beach, with a sea wall, on the north shore of Oahu (waaaay back when it was "rural" - Haleiwa - not far from 3 tables and Haleiwa bay, off Kam Hwy) and been to the BVIs and sailed around - they are interesting.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Anna Maria Island has been my favorite for many many years. I'm sitting on my balcony right now, watching the Gulf of Mexico. Sadly, it's becoming very over developed, with very few actual island residents left. Manatee County promotes the heck out of it, and there's probably 5 times more people out here than the island can handle. It's not just seasonal traffic, it's a madhouse. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.  I have been to many islands, and that is the only one I have returned to several times. 

I was born on an island (Staten Island), and now live on Long Island - guess islands are in my blood! 

Super Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@ZoetheCat wrote:

@Quse wrote:

We went to Scotland in June several years ago, and it was so cold that I remember wishing I had mittens!  I did love it, though.  Edinburgh, in my opinion, is very underrated. I thought it was absolutely beautiful.  I also loved St. Andrews.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to any other parts of Scotland.  I guess I'll have to add that to my bucket list!

@ZoetheCat We went there on our honeymoon, many years ago. Way up North to my husband's ancestral clan castle. All the pictures on the castle walls looked like someone in his immediate family, his sister, his brother. It was a riot! We drove around Loch Ness (uneventful) and way up to the very tip, to the sea. That was a VERY cold and damp wind, but a beautiful little town.

I hate traveling, but would jump at a chance to go back and bring my daughter, now that I know more about the clan history (thank you, Outlander...lol)

What a wonderful honeymoon!  I really want to go back to Scotland and see some of the islands (especially Skye).