Contributor

Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks

I will be going to Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park in September, right after Labor Day. I am really looking forward to this trip. We are staying in lodging (cabins) in each park, six nights in Yellowstone and five nights in Teton. We are also taking a day and driving the Beartooth Highway. Does anyone have any suggestions for other 'must sees' while in the parks. We have already booked a sunset nature tour while in Teton. I am not the most physically fit person but I can certainly do easy or moderate hiking trails (probably not strenuous ones). I would love to go rafting, but have not planned that yet. I would appreciate any ideas you have.

I will be flying from Indianapolis to Jackson Hole and renting a car.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks

You must have dinner in the Mural Room at the Jenny Lake Lodge in Teton.  I was at Yellowstone 3 years ago; was there in 80s and IMO the park was in shabby condition compared to what it was on my previous trip.  Some of the features have totally disappeared.

If this was my trip, I'd reduce the time spent in Yellowston and Teton and spend a couple of days at Glacier National Park which is spectacular.  I don't think there's enough to keep you entertained at Yellowstone and Teton.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I thought about Glacier but did not want to squeeze too much in, be too rushed and then not see everything. I plan on making Glacier a solo trip. Thanks so much for your input.

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed Yellowstone. Geysers, canyons, falls, wildlife, hot springs, were all good. Have fun.

Super Contributor

If it's in your budget at least make dinner reservations at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel.  It's a bit of a drive, but certainly worth it.  Beautiful location just above the lake and wonderful meal and service.  It was one of the highlights of our trip two years ago.  Enjoy!

Regular Contributor

One of our best vacations was a 2-week stay in GT and Yellowstone Parks.  There is so much to see, I cannot imagine anyone being bored.  We stayed in every Park inn there was, and had a view of Old Faithful geyser from our bathroom window!  The scenery and wildlife are unforgettable.  We did go out of the park for one nite, it was a shock to have a tv in our hotel room again!!  Enjoy yourself and relax.

Respected Contributor

I've been to Yellowstone many times.  I usually do the whole park in 3 days but we don't go on hikes.  It still leaves plenty of time to see most of the popular sites.  You'll get a map of the park at the entrance and it's very detailed.  I usually come in the west entrance and do the loop to Roosevelt and back down in one day.  The next day do the middle loop and go back out the south gate.  Jackson WY  has lots of fun tourist shops in town square.  You could do a chuckwagon dinner there or go river rafting.

I presume you will exit the park out northeast entrance to Beartooth.  The best sighting for wildlife is in Lamar Valley in that direction.

I was going to suggest the National Bison Range near Polson, MT.  It's toward Glacier.

You mentioned that you're staying in cabins.  Do you know how furnished they are?  I've stayed in some of those cabins and they are very rustic.  I'm talking a bed frame, table and a hanging light bulb.  We had to take sleeping bags and hike down the road to the john.  Some of the other cabins do have bedding.  We also took a styrofoam cooler with ice and food.  When in the rustic cabin I took an electric fry pan and cooked simple meals or canned soup.  It's going to be cold so be sure to take warm clothing and a coat for evening.

Super Contributor

The Beartooth Highway is an absolutely stunning scenic drive. We were there in September 2007. I remember it was warm, in the 70's at he beginning of the highway at the base of the mountain and cold enough to support a layer several inches of snow at the top. The views from the steep drop offs,  sharp curves and mountain lakes was breathtaking.

Yellowstone Park was amazing and glorious. If you didn't like the landscape you were looking at, just mosey on down the road a bit and you'll see something else. There were fields and meadows, forests and small wooded patches, hills and mountains, ponds and lakes. And then there are geysers, Old Faithful simply the most famous of the many found in the park.

Oh, and the wildlife! Deer, bears, buffalo, elk . . . and many so close you can just about, almost reach out and pet them. I will never, ever forget being right there, right next to this big, majestic, beautiful bull elk as he came strolling through the woods, bugling as he went.

@Vanna66 . . . .   I truly hope that you enjoy your time at Yellowstone and on the Beartooth Highway as much as I did, and enjoy your time at Teton, also. Safe travels !!

Hugs . . .   Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I've been to Yellowstone many times.  I usually do the whole park in 3 days but we don't go on hikes.  It still leaves plenty of time to see most of the popular sites.  You'll get a map of the park at the entrance and it's very detailed.  I usually come in the west entrance and do the loop to Roosevelt and back down in one day.  The next day do the middle loop and go back out the south gate.  Jackson WY  has lots of fun tourist shops in town square.  You could do a chuckwagon dinner there or go river rafting.

I presume you will exit the park out northeast entrance to Beartooth.  The best sighting for wildlife is in Lamar Valley in that direction.

I was going to suggest the National Bison Range near Polson, MT.  It's toward Glacier.

You mentioned that you're staying in cabins.  Do you know how furnished they are?  I've stayed in some of those cabins and they are very rustic.  I'm talking a bed frame, table and a hanging light bulb.  We had to take sleeping bags and hike down the road to the john.  Some of the other cabins do have bedding.  We also took a styrofoam cooler with ice and food.  When in the rustic cabin I took an electric fry pan and cooked simple meals or canned soup.  It's going to be cold so be sure to take warm clothing and a coat for evening.

Thanks, Scooby Doo. We are staying at Lake Lodge cabins in Yellowstone and Colter Bay in Teton. I made sure my choices had their own bathrooms. I would not want to share with strangers Smiley Happy. They do not have TV's or anything, but as long as I have a bed, a bathroom, electricity, and it's clean, that is all I need. I booked the lodging in January for my September trip, and lodging was already limited. I feel fortunate to have gotten anything in the parks. My advice to anyone going to national parks----- as soon as you know your dates, book your lodging. They fill up quickly.

Respected Contributor

@Vanna66 wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Thanks, Scooby Doo. We are staying at Lake Lodge cabins in Yellowstone and Colter Bay in Teton. I made sure my choices had their own bathrooms. I would not want to share with strangers Smiley Happy. They do not have TV's or anything, but as long as I have a bed, a bathroom, electricity, and it's clean, that is all I need. I booked the lodging in January for my September trip, and lodging was already limited. I feel fortunate to have gotten anything in the parks. My advice to anyone going to national parks----- as soon as you know your dates, book your lodging. They fill up quickly.

They sure do fill up.   Last time I went I tried to find something a month before we left and there was not a thing to be had except one dumpy room in West Yellowstone that was one step above a shack, and it was $80. 

Lake Lodge is very upscale from what I've stayed in Woman Wink

Spoiler