Trusted Contributor

YEAH - Southwest -- Flying to HAWAII

This might have been posted already. I am the LAST to know, I just found out yesterday.

Southwest Airlines Opens Hawaii Flights for Booking. Big news in Hawaii travel:Southwest Airlines has officially opened its new Hawaii flights for booking. ... After that, the airline will begin two routes from San Jose: to Honolulu starting May 5 and to Kahului starting May 26

Big news in Hawaii travel: Southwest Airlines has officially opened its new Hawaii flights for booking. In its latest update, the carrier reports that its inaugural flight to the state will take place March 17 between Oakland and Honolulu, followed by the airline’s first flight between Oakland and Kahului on April 7. After that, the airline will begin two routes from San Jose: to Honolulu starting May 5 and to Kahului starting May 26. 

Southwest will also begin operating its first inter-island service within Hawaii, between Honolulu and Kahului. The service will operate four times daily in each direction, starting April 28. The carrier will also begin flying four times daily in each direction between Honolulu and Hawaii Island starting May 12. Southwest says that the additional inter-island service will enable connecting service between Kona and both Oakland and San Jose. 

Additional service details, including plans for previously announced gateways of San Diego and Sacramento, and for Lihue on Kauai, will be announced in the coming weeks, Southwest said. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: YEAH - Southwest -- Flying to HAWAII

In my case no help.  We go out of the Washington DC area and we are going in May but had to book American.  YUK.  But no choice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I played with the dates a little.  From Chicago, I was unable to book certain dates and made me think that they didn’t run every day.  But, I guess they may have been sold out too.  I would prefer the nonstop flights that United offers from here vs a layover, but it is intriguing to think I could use my Southwest points for Hawaii too!

edited to add

Some people have criticized the planes, saying do you really want to be squeezed in so tight?  But, I read that, unless you fly business or Econ plus class, that their seats are actually slightly larger than some competitors.  The negative is that their seats do not have any way to keep your devices charged. And, since they don’t have an entertainment system like other jets, you are dependent on your own entertainment. So, a secondary charger is recommended (I envision a new way for the Q to market these devices...)

Honored Contributor

It won’t work for me now but maybe at some point it maybe.

In the past, we flew American to Honolulu from DFW.

Trusted Contributor

Just as a commentary

I purchase two seats for my hubby on southwest.  SO we have the entire row.  THat is an option for people and really a requirement for US.

On this type of flight, I would have to get 3 seats.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

I just flew the United non stops from Chicago. We had kids and my 90 year old mother along so we did not want to fool with layovers. The seats were fine but no food at all. Just a small bag of bad pretzels. Pack snacks.