Respected Contributor

Woman savagely attacked at luxury resort in Punta Cana

I read this horrifying article today. I have stayed at this same resort.  I did exactly what she did.  Went out alone at night, when my partner wanted to turn in early, so I could see a show in the theater, have another cocktail.  It is chilling to think this could have happened to me. I doubt I will ever venture out alone at any resort every again.  I always felt safe staying on the resort, never thought a threat like this could be lurking.  What a world we live in.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/30/mom-recounts-savage-beating-during-vacation-at-dominican-republic-reso...

Honored Contributor

Re: Woman savagely attacked at luxury resort in Punta Cana

OMG, I could hardly read that article and it brought tears to my eyes.That poor women went though hell and back.

What is almost as bad as the attack is the position the resort took.  They apparently don't care about their guests and just brushed off her complaints off even though the savage beating was probably done by one of their employees.

I hope Americans and people from all around the world boycott this place.  Only then, maybe they will provide some security and caring.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Terrible story, it was difficult for me to read, did any one search for her in the 8 hours she was missing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

First of all, so glad she is alive.  I hope she gets a lawyer to sue the resort.  I have no desire to visit that country.  There is extreme proverty. 

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

That is just horrible. I'm glad she survived, I think it was probably a miracle. I think the way the resort handled it is pathetic.

What a world we are living in, indeed.

Respected Contributor

OMG horrible story. Hard to read. Behind these beautiful islands is poverty at its worst. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have heard stories about the Dominican Republic over the years yet stunned to read what this brave woman experienced.  Her account of what she endured was just horrific and she is fortunate to be alive. The calloused attitude of the resort was despicable and I hope the name of this deplorable place is put out there for everyone to know; and also hope she is legally able to sue the resort.  Dominican Republic is one of the many countries I would never consider a visit due to lack of safety and security.

Respected Contributor

These resorts never take these incidents seriously from the stories I've read.  This one is the absolute worst though. It's like they care nothing for human life, such a basic thing.  What would it take for them to do something?  What could be worse than this?  He clearly tried to murder her so I don't know what's worse than that.  Maybe if he left her somewhere public they would be forced to react appropriately.  It's so lawless in some of these countries. We are so used to a proper justice system, police assitance, medical assistance etc in the US. I hope this poor woman can somehow recover and eventually, take some action against them.  She is tougher than nails to have come out of this alive, and then gone public to warn others.    

Esteemed Contributor

How horrible!! I’ve read about similar incidents happening at different island resorts. Must be very careful where you go. Under no circumstances should a woman ever go off alone.Several months back I heard about an incident in  a resort in Turks & Cacicos where a woman was attacked & killed by members of the staff. She was an attorney who lived a few towns over from me.

Coincidentally, My friend was at the same resort with her daughter just before that happened!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx  The horror that she experienced is unbearable to even think about.  I found it interesting that she is from Delaware, as am I, and there was no mention on the news or on Delaware Online.  This story needs to be told.

The person who did this crime is not just a predator, but he is really a murderer.  I hope that the resort is sued and she wins, but I doubt that will happen.  There is a very different way of looking at life in many of these countries, and the management finds it easier to put the blame on her.  It appears that her attacker was an employee, and I am certain it would not be too difficult to find him.

All of us have probably done exactly what she did.  When we had our condo in the islands, I remember one night that I went down to the lobby and coming back, the lights were out in the hallway.  Our condo was the last one on the top floor.  I can remember being very uneasy, rushing to get to my door, and then telling DH, who told me that I should have turned around and called him as soon as I saw that there were no lights.  I had always felt safe until that night.  She felt safe to be in a resort.

We can never be too careful.  Luckily, physically she will recover, and mentally will take longer, but she is alive.  We all need to take notice.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!