Trusted Contributor

Winter travel to Scandinavia!

Well, I'm back again, Travelers, with another query.  Through a stange confluence of events, I'll be going to Norway (Oslo), the first week of February, with my brother.  We are both cross country skiers and looking forward to being where the sport was invented!

Plane reservations already made, frantically searching for hotels in Oslo right now. 

Any suggestions for things to see/do in the land of "Frozen"!   

Honored Contributor

Re: Winter travel to Scandinavia!

Sounds exciting. I would find a hotel with a fireplace!😨 Enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

Have a wonderful trip and trusting all will go well for you. I enjoyed a documentary of WW2 about Norweigian resistance soldiers on skis and how they destroyed a German water facility, which was needed for atomic bomb. Capt. Leif Tronstad, 1942. You probably have heard of this, but if not, it would be good to read before your trip. I have a fondness for Norweigian people I've met and for this story. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

It would be terrible if you did not go to the museum where Viking ships are on display. It was tremendously exciting and much more interesting than I expected even though I'm Norwegian!

Contributor

Enjoy yourself in Norway! It is a country of almost unending beauty. My maternal grandparents came from Grimstad, & my dad's mom was from Stavanger (Norway's oil capitol). Westill have tons of family there. While I have only spent a few days in Oslo, I have immensely enjoyed the museums on Bygdøy peninsula - The Viking Ship Museum & the Norwegian Folk Museum. The latter has examples of buildings the Norwegians lived in throughout the centuries. It's an outdoor walking museum, so I don't know if it's open during winter.

We stayed at the First Millenium Hotel the last time we were in Oslo. It's near the train station & a short walking distance to the waterfront, the Nobel Peace Prize building, Akershus castle & shopping.

I believe when we were there in 2007 we stayed at the Saga Hotel, near the royal palace. It's an older, more traditional hotel, but very nice.

Norway's expensive, but there are some relatively less expensive meals to be found.

Respected Contributor

The best help you can get on forums of TripAdvisor. Go on Google and type: Norway forums TripAdvisor. And see what you get. 

I love their forums, they are wealth of information.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Everyone for the tips!  We're booked at the Saga in Oslo with two days in Lillehammer (Clarion) and the last night at a hotel near the airport.  We decided to rent a car - we're both experienced drivers in snow - mostly due to not knowing where we might want to go when we get there and buying train tix right before boarding is more than double the advanced purchase price.  

We're looking forward to probably about 3 days of cross country skiing (I think that's about all my muscles can take) and museums etc the rest. We might even try the bobsled run at Lillehammer.  

Norway was not on my bucket list, but after a bit of research, a return trip some summer is a definite posibility.

I found this tour called 'Norway in a Nutshell' that is apparently very popular, have any of you any experience with it?  I don't think we'll be using on this trip, but thought it would be great for a tour in the summer.  Post if you have taken this tour!  Thanks.

Super Contributor

My husband and I traveled Norway August 2017.  It is the most beautiful country and the people are lovely.  You will be in awe of the scenery.  I am excited for you.  Your adventure will be unforgettable.  You mentioned you are renting a car.  My advise is to take out the maximum insurance even though it is expensive.  We have traveled the world and Norway is one of the most expensive.  Our rental car experience was annoying  - kept getting bills for small amounts 5 months after our trip.  We had to dispute.  The car rental for the week was over $1300.us dollars.  Saying that, renting a car was the right thing to do.  We explored some back roads that were spectacular.  Enjoy every minute of your Norway experience.

Contributor

@Sammijo10I have been on the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour twice - in 2007 & 2011. We did the trip from Bergen to Oslo, but you can also travel from Oslo to Bergen.

The boat ride through the fjords is gorgeous - almost a sensory overload with the mountains small farms & waterfalls.

We stayed overnight in the small town of Flåm both times. The 1st time we stayed in the historic old Fretheim Hotel. While our room wasn't spectacular (a great view of goats), the buffet dinner was wonderful full of locally grown produce & meats. by the time we went in 2011 the little village had expanded to include several shops & a small grocery store. There was also a new hotel, the Flåmsbrygga - all wood & Scandinavian style furnishings - each room has a balcony. We luckily had a room that overlooked the park & river - good thing, since those on the other side of the hotel were greeted with a big view-blocking cruise ship in the morning. There's also a craft beer house that is fashioned after an old Viking house.

The train ride, Flåmsbana, goes from Flåm to Myrdal, a tiny place high in the mountains that has no road on which to travel. It was snowing when we were there in late August. The trip is billed as one of the most beautiful train rides in the world.