Esteemed Contributor

Winter Visits -- Where Would You Land?

[ Edited ]

Imagine with me -- I'd love to hear your opinions. If you could spend the months of January and February in any town -- where would you go? [husband and I are kicking this idea around for the near future and we're trying to agree on a town]

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Winter Visits -- Where Would You Land?

Probably right here in NY.

If the months were September/October ... Taormina, Sicily or Venice, Italy ... but not in the winter.

Honored Contributor

Probably south Texas. Have friends and family plus it would be cost efficient  for us and wouldn’t  take forever to get there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess We've been reading about Texas Hill Country. I need to visit. My Dallas friends love it.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Palm Springs, CA. 

Honored Contributor

@jeanlakewrote:

@OKPrincess We've been reading about Texas Hill Country. I need to visit. My Dallas friends love it.

I love the Dallas area too but I need to keep heading south for the warmth. Sure there are more ideal places but I’m trying to keep the costs down if I’m going to be gone from home 2 months.

Respected Contributor

If you want FL in Jan-Feb and want the warmest, most  consistent weather, pick a city that is Fort Myers or below...e.g., Naples, Marco Island.  The Keys and Key West get very windy.

We have spent the last 20 years there from 2 weeks to 3 months.  82 degree days normally but there have been cold fronts.  If you are above Ft, Myers, you will feel colder.  That seems to be the dividing line.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Over the past 7 years, we've traveled up and down the gulf coast of Florida, Georgia, SC and Atlantic side of Florida and have only been able to agree on a couple of towns. 

As Central Midwesterners, we're looking at 30A - located on FL panhandle between Destin & Panama City. Bike paths, golf, walking the beach and they have an active snowbird club you can join. Lodging is half the price of lower FL, but I know temperature is 10 degrees cooler. I understand this area appeals to many Canadians. 

We'll figure it out, but wanted to hear your ideas. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good idea, but if you want to do it next year....Make reservations now!Go

Lots of people do  come down for Jan & Feb only.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Canadian Rockies, the Banff/Jasper area.  For sure I'd stay at the Chateau Lake Louise.  Then I'd pick another beautiful lodge in the area.  Heres Lake Louise and it really is that color.  There's ice skating on it in the winter.

Screenshot_20180207-221828.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment