Valued Contributor

DH and I will be in England for 2 weeks in December and I need advice on good walking shoes for town.  I live in southern California and was thinking I could wear leather walking shoes something like this:  Propet Leather Walking Sneakers - Stability Walker Strap - A358776                    

Will this be suitable for touristing during the day?  Good for the cold?  Wet?  We will be as far north as York which could have near freezing temps.  If I am going to buy new shoes or short boots I'd like to get them next month so I have some time to break them in.  

If you have a shoe or boot you love for walking all day in the cold please include links.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Wobin

You did not say your size or how much you want to spend.

I have a lot of "comfort" brands, so I can offer some advice.

The most comfortable (and stylish) boots that I have are from Beautifeel.  I believe it was @Carmie who mentioned them.  Here are some styles on Amazon that would work for travel.

I have several sandals from Rockport.  They have Adidas technology in them.  These, from Rockport, are waterproof. What I like about them is the tread and that they also have a zipper, if you foot swells from travel.

Here is another pair from Rockport.  These are not listed as waterproof, but you could certainly spray them.  I like that they have both brown and black.

I really like Pikolinos as well (a Spanish brand) and for winter boots I like Timberland.  I wear my tall ones for shoveling or outdoor duty, and they fee like wearing sneakers.  

I also like Alegrias for comfort (this style is coming soon) but they can be slippery on the sole.

Respected Contributor

I'd wear a comfy waterproof boot or bootie.  Easy Spirits are good.  We were in London in September and everyone wore knee-high boots.  I was barely out of my sandals.  

Respected Contributor

Try Blondo. They are nice looking, waterproof, and comfortable. I wear them all winter.

Respected Contributor

I was at a higher end shoe store and another woman was buying walking shoes for a trip to Europe.

I was just thinking at that time, you are buying a new pair of shoes, most of the time you need to "break them in" and how do you know they will if all be comfortable?  Your packing new shoes and gambling with comfort, all you know is they feel good when you bought them.

I personally would take a pair of walking shoes you already own and if you need to buy "winter" shoes/boots, can't you buy them in England?  You might not even need winter boots.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.  I generally wear an 8 wide and would be willing to spend up to $200 for a really great short boot. 

My feet are hard to fit because of the width and high arches (and I hate wearing shoes).  I usually buy shoes from Zappos so I can take my time at home trying them on.  I received an English shoe catalog last year and loved some of the styles but I don't think I want to spend my precious vacation days shoe shopping among all the Christmas shoppers.

Valued Contributor

@lolakimono  I had no luck on Amazon finding the black and brown boot.  Could you post a link?

Valued Contributor

@Just Bling  That is cutting it too close for me.  What if those shoes ended up killing her feet?  

I will take my black walking shoes if I don't find something else.  Would like something a little nicer looking however.

Honored Contributor

@Wobin

We aren't allowed to post links to other retailers.  Just search for 

Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Joy Boot anywhere that sells Rockport.

Respected Contributor

I live in the Midwest. And I like Skechers GoWalk Suede Faux Fur Boots A280515.  It is very comfortable, lightweight and warm.  It is not waterproof, but I sprayed water and stain repellent shoe protector. And they are fine in the snow/ rain.  The QVC price is $70, but you can find cheaper ones at local shoe stores, and that way you can try them on and see if they fit.

a269560.001.jpg