Honored Contributor

Re: Will be going on a trip to National Parks

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

I took a trip that included overnights at Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion national parks, as well as Monument Valley in early September of 2017. 

The weather was HOT during the day (mid 80's) and very cool at night. 

Since I'm a hiker, I wore shorts and t-shirts during the day, with sturdy hiking shoes. Many of the trails in the parks are narrow, steep and rocky, with no guardrails in place. There were signs along the way encouraging folks to wear proper hiking boots/shoes on the trails for their own safety. One dimbulb in our group decided she could hike up to Inspiration Point at Bryce Canyon in sandals of some sort, and ended up in the ER with a severely sprained ankle. 

Evenings were mostly jeans and a sweatshirt. I took along a pair of chinos and a sweater for dressier wear and never wore them. 

Thank you.  I am always covered in the woods. Hat, long sleeves cotton and cotton jeans along with boots.  The state park is practically my back yard.  We had to put up a fence because hikers following the trails would wind up in our property!    I'm taking a jacket and a pullover sweater.  I remember one hike.  My husband was behind me.  I walked pass a Black Racer (snake) turned around & looked at my husband who was puzzled.  I had to show him the snake. It was just past his shoe.  The Racer is harmless, but he sure did jump!

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@songbird  You will need a good jacket or wool sweater. SD, WY and UT all turn chilly in the evenings. AZ is hot all of the time in September! You are going to some of the most spectacular places in the US and the views are glorious.  Enjoy your vacation! 

BTW: I never wore boots in any of those places. Save you luggage space. My Birkenstocks were fine and we walked miles and miles when on family vacations in each State. My husband and son both also wore Birk's, but also took sneakers for the hike down the Grand Canyon. (Guess women really are the tougher sex! I hiked in sandals.) 

I'm a hiker and I always wear boots.  I'm covered up all the time in any woods.  Cotton long sleeve shirts and jeans with boots. I live next to a state park.  All kind of snakes and creatures out there.  I would never dream of going anywhere there without some kind of covering (including the feet)

@songbird. @BirkiLady.  I was just thinking, I'd prefer to have something more substantial than a sandal between my toes and the rattlesnakes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Funny you would mention that.  On with the rest of the story of hiking down the Grand Canyon . . .

We planned to spend the night camping and return the following day. My husband and I were enthusiastic; our 15-year old son . . . not so keen on the idea. However, the hike down was hot but we made it. Fixed our dinner, enjoyed the calmness. But sleep hit all of us quickly after such a rough day.  

I awoke in the middle of the night using my left arm as a pillow. As I lay there in the moonlight, something slithered near my arm. Yep . . . a rattlesnake! I was frozen with fear. Couldn't even whisper! Just watched it move near my arm and away. When it was safely gone, I woke both my son and husband up with shrieks of "OMG, I almost touched a rattler in my sleep!" Both found the snake several yards away. Creepy to think we'd been sleeping with snakes. We didn't get any more sleep that night. The hike back up the Canyon was really rough.

And, yes, I would recommend boots for that hike!! (I was very well tanned and fit back then, but in today's world I would have been better prepared.) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady.  Yikes, they ought to warn people against sleeping out in the open.  There are all sorts of varmits in that ecosystem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I think it would be a good idea to take jackets and sweaters with you. But why are you visiting national parks in winter? I think summer or spring is the right time to visit national parks. 

Respected Contributor

September is not winter. The Southwest is still in the upper 90’s that time of year. Plus, it’s less crowded in September.

Valued Contributor

for me that is way too many parks you cannot enjoy them. for me crazy horse is a waste of money. went to mount rushmore and yellowstone in a driving trip from midwest. if you go you need time to enjoy them and hick you will be rushed. and do not stop at wall drugs a total waste of time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tockerman:  That's your opinion about Wall Drug;  we really enjoyed it (was during Sturgis Rally).  In addition, the backstory of Wall Drug is very interesting.  As I mentioned, our last trip to South Dakota was during Sturgis; didn't know what it was and we aren't motorcycle people but what a blast.  All the little towns were doing BBQs or pancake breakfasts, really a snapshot of rural America.