Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wholesale Vacation Clubs?

Call  them Vacation Clubs or Timeshare.They are all the same. They are all in it for themselves.The maintenance fees alone are ridiculous.

I have a friend whose dad passed away & left her & her sister his timeshare in Hawaii.The maintenance fee is $2000 a year. They don’t want it .They figured out that they could go to Hawaii on their own for less. They are currently speaking to an attorney for help in getting rid of it.

I never liked the idea because I like going on vacation when I want to.That can change from year to year. I also like choosing my own accommodations. I’m also not interested in cooking while on vacation.I do that enough at home.

Another point is that these days you can find great deals online through all the various travel cites.

Honored Contributor

Some people find them valuable.  I had a friend who had 6 timeshares.  They were avid golfers and planned to spend all of their retirement traveling between all of their timeshares, plus being able to swap them all for other places.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I had a friend who go to these presentations for the freebies- weekend getaway whatever.  She joined two and got in a lot of debt. She did join the Disney Vacation Club- Disney gives out great perks for joining- annual passes, points for Disney cruises, free hotel stays etc.  She couldn't afford that either in the long run.  The good thing about Disney is that they'll buy your share.  You have offer it to Disney first.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  Depending on how many days the $2,000 includes it could be a bargain.  Hotels in HI are easily $300/night so unless you go the airbnb route and take a chance on accommodations and amenities, that fee is reasonable.

I do agree that we do not want to be locked into the same time of year and the possible difficulty of switching to another resort.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I had a friend who go to these presentations for the freebies- weekend getaway whatever.  She joined two and got in a lot of debt. She did join the Disney Vacation Club- Disney gives out great perks for joining- annual passes, points for Disney cruises, free hotel stays etc.  She couldn't afford that either in the long run.  The good thing about Disney is that they'll buy your share.  You have offer it to Disney first.

I am a member of the Disney Vacation Club. And have been since the year 2000. We enjoy it. We have been on a cruise to Alaska, numerous other cruises, trips to Madarian Oriental in Washington DC, Virginia Beach, Hilton Head and of course Walt Disney World. 

And I bet we could sell our "timeshare" for more than we paid for it. But we are not about to, we are enjoying it too much. Besides my son said he wants it when we are no longer able to travel.

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50   Note I said that my friend already calculated that she can go to Hawaii & secure her own accommodations for less that $2000. That figure is for a week. Using your figure of $300 a night the cost would come to $2100. The fee is no bargain.My friend said she could go on her terms,her way for way under $2000.