Honored Contributor

Re: Which chain hotels do you prefer?

@Reever wrote:
$150 a night for a hotel room is insane. In 1970 the rooms were $16 a night when we went to Maine with friends. The hotels are price gouging.

@Reever.  So how much were those hotels in 2018.

Esteemed Contributor

Four Seasons consistently excellent in every Country 

Trusted Contributor

We drive 75 and 77 a ton, from both SC and FL back and forth to Ohio. We like Country Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn Express and, our favorite, Spring Hill Suites by Marriott. Marriott does not offer free breakfast at their regular Marriotts and their Courtyards, but the Spring Hill Suites Marriotts have a great breakfast, and the rooms are outstanding with sitting areas, micros, refrigerators.  You can stay long term or for just a night.   We require spotlessly clean and a large buffet style free breakfast. Spring Hill Suites are few and far between, but book it if you find one. Just returned from one in Orlando between Disney & Sea World — really laid out with super nice pool area and snack bar. Cheap too with discount coupons. We are in our 70’s. Happy travels!

Respected Contributor

I prefer Westins.

Valued Contributor

@wonderfulworld we, too belong to Hilton Rewards..& like the Hampton inns..we like the price range & the breakfast has everything we like to get us on our way..your mention of Ohio caught my eye, as we live in SW Ohio..we have had to pay a little more if we have to be in Columbus & there happens to be an OSU football game. 

We were wondering about the Drury Inns, they look very nice. We usually have enough Hilton points to cover 3-4 nights on a trip to FL in the winter. 

If you are if you are in the area of Knoxville, there is a great Hampton just north of there, right off I-75, that is wonderful, & very reasonable! Have fun!

Valued Contributor

Always had good luck with La Quinta..especially now that we travel with our lab occasionally. Also really like Hampton Inn. Love their pillows.

Trusted Contributor

Buckeye mom, we travel to Frankenmuth MI a few times a year to the town’s wonderful festivals and to replenish our Christmas decorations at Bronners. They have a Drury Inn right downtown and we always stay there. Great breakfast, clean rooms including a very nice suite, and they have a small meal in the late aft that is free. Great when you just want a little something but don’t want to go back out. 

Trusted Contributor

@wonderfulworld,

It depends on the country. I like Le Méridien chain for continental Europe and some US cities like Boston.For the UK Red Carnation, particularly in London, has amazing properties.🌻

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld  There is nothing like the Four Seasons.  The pillows and mattresses are purely heaven but very costly.  Getting back down to earth -- Holiday Inns.  I have found that they were always clean and had good food at their restaurants and usually located thru out the U.S. and Canada. Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thank you for your replies. We recently stayed in a Hampton Inn and had our room comped because the bathroom had ants.Thank goodness it wasn't the OTHER kind of bug.