Super Contributor

Re: Which chain hotels do you prefer?

Holiday Inn Express is always nice and they are doing alot of upgrading to their properties- I also like Marriott properties- Hiltons are kind of unpredictable - stay away from Best Westerns, Ramada's, - best thing is to go to the travel sites and read the customer reviews about rooms being dirty or clean or even bed bugs- it  is also better to book with the hotel site directly then through the trip sites- I have also found I get better discounts from AAA then from AARP

Respected Contributor

Some chains are hit or miss if the parent corporation is not keeping tabs. Hampton Inn has been consistent and has a nice cooked breakfast in the morning.

Honored Contributor

I've used LaQuinta Inn and Holiday Inn Express.  They were both fine.

Super Contributor

For one night stays like you mentioned we prefer Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express. For vacations we go with Hiltons or Mariotts. 

Honored Contributor

AmericInn is my personal favorite. DH doesn't have a preference, and goes the cheap route. Last hotel he booked had a full sized bed because it was $20 cheaper than a queen. Talk about cramped quarters!

Honored Contributor

I try to find the newest property in the area.

I lean toward Hampton Inn but if a Holiday Inn Express just opened, I'll swing over there.

No matter their attention to detail, the older properties always seem dirty.

I don't travel enough to have loyalty to any one chain.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t have any loyalty; I usually look at the TripAdvisor/Booking.com reviews. My picky co-worker, who does a lot more of this type of traveling due to competitions with her children, prefers Holiday Inn Express.
Honored Contributor

I'm not really loyal to any hotel.  Whichever is nice and has the best deal generally gets my money.

As someone else said, I do prefer a hotel with a free breakfast but a full, free breakfast, not a continental breakfast. 

The last Hyatt Place I stayed at in Nashville had a great full breakfast buffet in the morning.     

Contributor

I agree that the newest hotel is usually the best.  The road hotels don’t age well.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your replies. I would have never thought of Holiday Inn Express but I do see them along the way.

I am going to start checking out all of your suggestions. You all are the BEST!!!