Respected Contributor

Re: Which 1st time cruise line would you use?

@Allthingsgirly67 wrote:
It is I, my husband, a 19 year old and my 14 year old and possibly my mother-in-law. We have never cruised before and would appreciate any suggestions. TIA

The 3 cruise lines that come to my mind are: Disney Cruise Line, Celebrity, & Royal Caribbean.  The Celebrity cruise line is getting a lot of  buzz for their Edge ships and Royal Caribbean has the Oasis "Mega ships".  Both Disney and Royal Caribbean have their own private island.  Disney is known for their service and that their prices are generally a lot higher than others.  Don't dismiss a Disney cruise because you think it's all Mickey and "kid stuff" because there are adult only areas and things to do.  Royal Caribbean is also family friendly.  I've been on a lot of cruises, and I cruise differently now than what I did in my 20's.  Is there a special destination you'd like to visit?  Then look at itineraries.  They're all so different, and all length of cruise.  Personally, I like at least a 7 day cruise because I feel that a 3, 4, or even 5 day cruise is too short.  You're just getting in the swing of things and it's time to leave.  Cruise lines differ greatly so really do your research.  Know what's included and what is extra.  Check out YouTube, there are A LOT of videos.  We have our second Disney cruise at the end of this year and I can't wait!

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@FLGranny wrote:

For my husband and I it was Disney all the way! It's expensive but you get what you pay for. 

We have been sailing with Disney Cruise Line since 1999. We were on the Wonder for their 10th cruise out. And have been on quite a few cruises since. Sometimes with family, friends or cruise buddies.

I have friends who go on about 4 cruises a year with Disney. So they are always going some place interesting. So we have coordinated our vacations.

There is alot to do for all ages. The daily newsletter "The Navigator" is filled with activities, shows, movies and guests, so you aren't bored. Or if you want to be bored their are a number of pools.

I have friends that go on cruises with other cruise lines. But they go for the gambling. There isn't any gambling on the Disney Cruise. So if you are looking to gamble, Disney isn't for you. Disney also lets you take booze on board.

Going on our second Disney cruise at the end of the year.  Disney cruises are great!

Esteemed Contributor

Frequent cruiser here and I have been on a number of lines. For your family and age range I'd suggest Royal Caribbean (not all kids or old people, nice variety of activities for all ages, nice excursions, great food, and decent price point.

Regular Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67  Definitely Royal Caribbean. Enjoy and safe travels!

Trusted Contributor

@Allthingsgirly67 Have a great time! Royal Caribbean all the way. When you want to cruise with only adults, go with Viking; both their river cruises and their ocean cruises are unparalleled.
Frequent Contributor

I've been on Royal, Norweigan and Carnival from inside cabins to suites.

Carnival was not my favorite, I cannot pinpoint the exact reasons but the older I got the less I cared for it.

Norweigan was really good at first but the last 2 cruises I took with them they had really gone downhill and I have not cruised with them since.  The food was awful, the staff was miserable, cabin stewards knocking on our door at 11 pm to delivery laundry, leaking ceiling tiles and more. That was it for me.  

I have cruised on Royal the most and it is my favorite cuise line.  I'm sailed on the smallest ship to the largest ship and never had a bad experience.  I just booked a cruise on the Harmony for August.  Although I have loved all the ships I did find the Oasis Class to be the best.  There are a ton of things to do but also nothing at all if that is what you are looking for.  The food has always been excellent in the dining room and the specailty restaurants.  The shows are excellent, they have outdoor movies, the bars and dancing clubs have excellent bands playing, Central Park is my absolute favorite on the ships.  Even though the ships hold so many people there have been very few times I felt it was too crowded.  Can you tell I like this line.

I have never been on other lines, not because I didn't want to but I have always gotten a better deal with Royal. Some of the other lines are out of my budget for what I want.  I have heard great things about Celebrity and OK things on Holland America.  Although I've heard great things about Disney I will never go on one.  I have always disliked everything about Disney from when I was a small child.

Have fun on whatever you choose and come back and ask questions after you book.  We will be able to give you tips as a first time cruiser.

Respected Contributor

Royal Caribbean is wonderful for all ages.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I like the Carribian Cruse line commercials.  Seems like I read about some problems they were having awhile back.  ???? Unsure.  I'd check it out though.

Valued Contributor

Princess, Celebrity or Royal Carribean.  I have been on all three and they are pretty nice.  I've heard good things about Holland America.  I am a senior so I don't care about an older demographic.

I would not pick Carnival.  Its too much a party ship and not as classy.

There are some other cruise lines that are premium and upscale but they are a bit too expensive for my budget.

Regular Contributor

We cruise a lot. The most miserable one was Carnival.  We were out to sea contemplating how we were not happy with it and then we saw a Disney ship further out. Lots of fun going on over there!  We booked with them from that point on.  Just fabulous.  Also you're not going to see the usual younger ones getting drunk and jumping off levels high up into the pool.  Lots of different activities for every age.  My teen was so enthralled in a group activity once that she didn't want to join us for dinner!

My second choice is Viking. It's great for fascinating ports. Happy sailing.