Trusted Contributor

Which 1st time cruise line would you use?

It is I, my husband, a 19 year old and my 14 year old and possibly my mother-in-law. We have never cruised before and would appreciate any suggestions. TIA
Honored Contributor

Re: Which 1st time cruise line would you use?

[ Edited ]

That depends on what you're looking to do and what you're interested in.  We always cruised for the ports of call and not so much for the onboard activites.  But if you're "fun loving" party people probably Carnival or Norwegian especially for the teenagers.

DH and I prefer Holland America or Celebrity.  Much more "sedate" that the other 2 lines.

Know what you like, what you want to do and do research.

Bon voyage!

Respected Contributor

Carnival but look at the different ships to see what they have that would interest your group.

Honored Contributor

With a 19 and 14 year old, I would rule out Holland America, Princess and probably even Celebrity.  You need to make sure you go on a ship where there is something for them to do, especially the 14 year old.  

I personally would look at the Oasis class ships of Royal Caribbean such as Oasis of the Seas.  I would steer clear of small ships because there isn't going to be anything for them to do.  

I have no desire to ever cruise on Carnival but again, make sure you look at a ship with things to do for all ages.  The older, smaller ships aren't going to have all the extras or bells and whistles.  Same with Norwegian.  I've cruised on 2 NCL ships but they were smaller and I wouldn't recommend them for anyone younger.

Trusted Contributor

Another vote for the Oasis ships of Royal Caribbean.  They would have plenty for the teens to do.  Personally, even as a senior citizen, I like Carnival.  I enjoy the demographic and the activities.  If you choose one of the new large Carnival ships there would be lots for the teens. 

I would definitely get balcony rooms.  We don't spend much time in our room while on a cruise, but I still love being able to be on the balcony to see the ocean.  And when in port I love watching the activity on the dock. 

Regular Contributor

For my husband and I it was Disney all the way! It's expensive but you get what you pay for. 

Esteemed Contributor

We prefer Holland America. Few to no little kids and if there are kids they are older and not the nuisance little ones are.

Respected Contributor

I would say w/the small group you are going with
(Notably the teens) , your best bet might be a Carnival ship. Always lots of high energy activity and things to do for the teens. I’ve been on Celebrity ships to Bermuda that were wonderful and upscale, (but as another poster mentioned) Celebrity is a bit quieter +reserved. I’ve as also been on Norwegian (which was also nice), but never on Royal Caribbean. Enjoy your cruise !!⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean.   We did the inside passage of Alaska.  While it was not a grand ship it was perfectly fine for all of us.  My kids were 11 and 12 years old at the time.

I wouldn't get too hung up on entertaining the teens, they are perfectly capable of keeping themselves occupied.   It's a whole new experience.  Have a great trip Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@FLGranny wrote:

For my husband and I it was Disney all the way! It's expensive but you get what you pay for. 

We have been sailing with Disney Cruise Line since 1999. We were on the Wonder for their 10th cruise out. And have been on quite a few cruises since. Sometimes with family, friends or cruise buddies.

I have friends who go on about 4 cruises a year with Disney. So they are always going some place interesting. So we have coordinated our vacations.

There is alot to do for all ages. The daily newsletter "The Navigator" is filled with activities, shows, movies and guests, so you aren't bored. Or if you want to be bored their are a number of pools.

I have friends that go on cruises with other cruise lines. But they go for the gambling. There isn't any gambling on the Disney Cruise. So if you are looking to gamble, Disney isn't for you. Disney also lets you take booze on board.