Trusted Contributor

Where to Stay in Omaha Nebraska

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to stay in Omaha? An upscale type place is fine. A nice neighborhood with shops and restaurants close by is a plus.

I always get such good suggestions here.

Thank you so much.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where to Stay in Omaha Nebraska

Stay in the Old Market area.  Good restaurants, unique shops, museums, and not far from the zoo which is a must when in Omaha.  As a Nebraskan, welcome to our state!

Frequent Contributor

The Hilton Garden West is nice and very close to Village Pointe shopping mall and Westroads mall. Also lots of good places to eat in the area. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for and what part of Omaha you want to be in but my daughter and I love this area for dining and shopping!,

Trusted Contributor

@kug wrote:

Stay in the Old Market area.  Good restaurants, unique shops, museums, and not far from the zoo which is a must when in Omaha.  As a Nebraskan, welcome to our state!

@kugI was thinking about the Old Market area according to my research thus far.

I was also looking at the Farnum hotel.

Anyone familiar with it?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

@Whispergirl wrote:

The Hilton Garden West is nice and very close to Village Pointe shopping mall and Westroads mall. Also lots of good places to eat in the area. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for and what part of Omaha you want to be in but my daughter and I love this area for dining and shopping!,

@Whispergirl  Thank you. I will look at this area also.

Groucho Marx
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@abbalulu Are you flying in, if so then I would look at the Old Market hotels that have shuttle service to Epply Airport.  If you are planning on renting a car, then the parking is more difficult at many of the hotels there.  I love staying at Magnolia, it is certainly a beautiful property close to the Orpheum Theatre.  I also have stayed one at Hotel Deco, again a beautiful place in the Old Market.  And the have a fun speakeasy cocktail bar called The Wicked Rabbit.  If you are planning on going to the Old Market in the evening, please be careful if you are walking. 

I was just looking at the Kimpton Cottonwood, a beautiful recently restored hotel originally called the Blackstone Hotel (where the Blackstone Rueben sandwich was first created).  There isn't shopping nearby, but there is some quaint beer pubs, Crescent Moon is across the street), also a really great ice cream shop.  The reason I was looking at it today is Oktoberfest will be comming soon, and I would love to stay close to the Rathskeller Bier Haus for the fun.  Again, I'm leary of walking at night, but that's just me.

Omaha has so many shopping ares, but not necessarily grouped together.  But if you want both shopping and restaurants, then certainly Old Market fits that bill.  Welcome to Omaha, from one who lives just 60 miles away.

Trusted Contributor

@new nickname 4  Actually we are driving in. We visit our son in the fall and this year have decided that Omaha might be a good halfway point. He has lived in the west and southwest for many years and many times in areas that have little around in terms of entertainment and dining so we have taken to meeting in different cities over the last several years.

I know in cities parking is at a premium so sometimes we just bite the bullet and opt  for valet parking while we are there.(My husband hates having to do this but after 49 years I have convinced him of the advisability of doing it in certain situations.) I think that's what we'll probably do in Omaha.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I may have looked at the Magnolia. I will check it out again. I also read about the speakeasy and thought that sounded like fun.

I am still interested in the Farnam if anyone knows anything about that. I have had good luck with what they call Autograph Collection hotels in other areas.

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I appreciate it so much!

The people on here always come through. I know last year I took someone's hotel suggestion for Denver and it was a wonderful spot. Lovely hotel and restaurant. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head right now but we were very happy.

Groucho Marx
Super Contributor

@abbalulu , That sounds like fun to meet in the middle and spend time exploring the area with family.  I am always by myself, that's why I'm hesitant about walking around areas by myself.

Google Visit Omaha, it's a website that have lots of good, accurate information about the Old Market, other areas, where to eat, hotels, etc.  

Have a great time.

Trusted Contributor

@new nickname 4  Thank you. I will. Whenever we visit a new city I like to find the upscale area which will usually have a lot of foot traffic at night so it at least seems a bit safer. Nothing is guaranteed but so far this has been a pretty good tactic.

I would probably never do these things on my own but with my husband and son I feel okay. When I think way back about going to school and being a young adult working in Chicago and just going anywhere and everywhere on my own at all times of day and night it amazes me. I would never do that today. I think there must have been an angel on my shoulder.

Groucho Marx