Trusted Contributor

Re: Wheelchair for daily use recommendations

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks k9buddy

Super Contributor

If your friend is of Medicare age his chair may be paid for or look up durable medical equipment in your community for all the help you'll need.

Occasional Contributor

I am 77 & broke my ankle in 3 places last June. We perched a Drive  lightweight from Amazon for 117. It was great. We have narrow doors @ our house & fits through. Easy to get in & out of our car. Mine has 2 large wheels in back, smaller in front. Would highly recommend this chair. It has been a Godsend. My husband has COPD & has no trouble pushing me ever on carpet.

Trusted Contributor

If he is on Medicare and gets a dr's order for a wheelchair or transport chair, he would pay a small monthly fee.  That's what my husband did when he only needed it short term.  After paying for 13 months rental, the wheelchair/transport chair would be free to keep.  It cost us about $3 a month for rental.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what I would recommend.  I purchase it for my husband who was 6'2".  It was easy for me to handle, to pick up and place in the car and is narrow enough to go through all my doorways.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I bought a portable lightweight wheelchair on here years ago, just sold it this year but it was a good one.

It is still made, let me find the name...

The brand name is Drive Medical Lightweight and Walmart sells them. They are much cheaper now then when I bought it on qvc. I got the pretty red/black plaid color. Had all the bells and whistles you need like the brakes were great and looked brand new when I sold it.

My mother had a Drive portable one that they used to take my uncle out in after his fall and she ended up using it after her fall.

Look for used stuff for sale at thrift stores or on Craig's List or Nextdoor.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GiantsLover wrote:

Umfortnately there is no drugstore or medical supply store near me.

I am all for going and trying items out before purchasing if at all possible. but this was not a viable option. 

I was instructed to to go in and try the wheelchair out or order it on line.

Everyone I contacted said order it on line and Medicare is so much more expensive if you purchase it from them, so I  am also looking at all other less costly viable purchase options.

Thanks everyone.

@GiantsLover

I used a wheelchair in 2018. Does your area have a local hospital? 

A physical therapist would be the best person to assist you in buying the right chair for your neighbor. 

You need to select the right size chair and the correct seat and or back cushions. 

The chair may need some minor adjustment out of the box. 

I was in rehab for a few months. A facility can order a device one day, and have it delivered to your home the next day. 

Medicare will only cover certain quality wheelchair, walker or rolling walkers. 

Amazon sells Medline and Drive Medical brand of chairs.

I still would want to know the type of chair Medicare and Medigap insurance will cover.