Valued Contributor

Wheelchair for daily use recommendations

[ Edited ]

Neighbor has become ill and asked if I could look at wheelchairs he can buy.

I know there are many places on line to place wheelchair orders but prefer recommendatons from companies which gave other  QVC members a no problem wheelchair order and follow thru, should any problems arise relative to the wheelchair purchase.

Wondering about receiving the wheelchair on time, and returning at no cost if problem arises either at time of delivery or 30 days after delivery date.

If the outer shipping box arrives defective it should be picked up at no cost to me and replaced with a non defective wheelchair, or refunded back to my original method of payment.  (my choice).

Really need to have clean undamaged box in case item must be returned during the warranty period.

Lastly what is the warranty period on buying a QVC website wheelchair, Pkease list it and thanks for everything QVC friends.

Walgreen's no longer carrys wheelchairs in my neighboorhood, and there is no medical supplier near me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wheelchair for daily use recommendations

How nice of you to help.

First make sure about dimensions and elevations in the house.  How will it work with a vehicle?  His size?  Can he get in independently?

There are other questions I am sure, but it is a bit complex.

Trusted Contributor

I would purchase a wheelchair from a local medical supply store or a drugstore like Walgreens. That way if there's a problem with it, you can return it locally and not have to worry about a damaged box for a return. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a portable lightweight wheelchair on here years ago, just sold it this year but it was a good one.

It is still made, let me find the name...

The brand name is Drive Medical Lightweight and Walmart sells them. They are much cheaper now then when I bought it on qvc. I got the pretty red/black plaid color. Had all the bells and whistles you need like the brakes were great and looked brand new when I sold it.

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

I would purchase a wheelchair from a local medical supply store or a drugstore like Walgreens. That way if there's a problem with it, you can return it locally and not have to worry about a damaged box for a return. 

Absolutely.  You could take him to a medical supply where he could be fitted for the proper size and style of chair.  They would always be there in case of a problem plus they will teach him to use it.  With a Dr's prescription, they could file for Medicare and he may not have to pay for the chair.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

Neighbor has become ill and asked if I could look at wheelchairs he can buy.

I know there are many places on line to place wheelchair orders but prefer recommendatons from companies which gave other  QVC members a no provlem wheelchair order and follow thru should any roblems arise relative to the wheelchair purchase.

Wondering about receiving the wheelchair  on time, and returning at no cost if problem arises either at time of delivery or 30 days after delivery date.

If the outer shipping box arrives defective it should be picked up at no cost to me and replaced with a non defective wheelchair, or refunded back to my original method of payment.  (my choice).

Really need to have clean undamaged box in case item must be returned during the warranty period.

Lastly what is the warranty period on buying a QVC website wheelchair, Pkease list it and thanks for everything QVC friends.

Measure your friend’s inside doorways before ordering. Use a credit card that guarantees money back if there is a problem. A wheelchair used for a very short term  does not have to be the best. If this might be a longer term thing, go up in sturdiness. If your friend needs to transfer from bed by sliding over, get a chair with removable arms. These are better to have anyway. There are different type of chairs for different medical needs. For example, there are high back chairs. Make sure you are ordering to meet your friend’s needs. If friend if using chair inside the house only, there are chairs for that. If another person will be wheeling your friend, there are transport chairs. See if you can look at a few online catalogs and you will see what I mean about everything. The store the box, if you are short on space you can collapse the box and I collapse it and use package tape to reassemble it. It’s easier just to store the whole box. 

Contributor

please consider whether you are looking for a "transport chair" which is used when someone else will be propelling the chair, has 4 smaller wheels. the other option is the one most people think of- large wheels that allow the person seated to propel themselves.  transport chairs usually don't work so well on surfaces other than solid- not on grass, gravel etc. also consider the weight, ability to fold to put in car and lift back out. does the person riding require oxygen when in the chair?  you may be able to purchase a carrier to attach to the chair for oxygen transport. the usage is key in choosing the correct chair

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming your neighbor wants a standard manual wheelchair, not a transport chair.

Look for swing-away and elevating leg rests...a chair that folds...usually in half.  Also, a seat cushion and full back.   Weight is also a factor for lifting in and out of cars, taking up and down steps.  Will someone be doing that for him?  A female, maybe?

Make sure doorways are wide enough.  There are different chair widths.  Different size seats.  Consider the size of your neighbor.  Although, he's male, if on the small thin, frail side, you might want to look for a small chair even if doorways are wide enough for larger chairs...easier for this person to move the wheels.  

If you don't want to worry about returns; although, you said there's no medical supply around you...not even within 50 miles?... they are really the best place; however, prices are higher than online. Medical supply stores will fit your neighbor with the right chair and make height adjustments, if needed.

Retailers can't guarantee products and boxes will not arrive undamaged during shipping.  

Invacare is a good brand, so is Drive Medical.  Don't know anything about QVC's brand, Carex.  While Carex looks good on QVC's website, I would research this brand on the internet before buying one.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Umfortnately there is no drugstore or medical supply store near me.

I am all for going and trying items out before purchasing if at all possible. but this was not a viable option. 

I was instructed to to go in and try the wheelchair out or order it on line.

Everyone I contacted said order it on line and Medicare is so much more expensive if you purchase it from them, so I  am also looking at all other less costly viable purchase options.

Thanks everyone.

Super Contributor

If this is for short term use (weeks or a few months) some social service agencies will provide medical equipment for a small fee, or free of charge.  If you are interested in going that route, you might check with your local United Way agency to who may have medical equipment available for use.  I know in our area equipment is also available thru one of our Hospice agencies.