Respected Contributor

Can whats app be used on a tracfone in europe to usa?

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I searched for an answer to your question and couldn’t find any credible information.

Hopefully, someone will respond with a definite answer.

Respected Contributor

Both my son and I have an Iphone and we use Whats' App when he travels to Bangkok, Singapore, Indonesia, Bali and Manila and have had no problems with it.  It's a Facebook application, so I don't see why you would have a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Can whats app be used on a tracfone in europe to usa?

@bargainsgirl ...  I have WhatsApp on my iPhone.  I always use it to send messages to my cousins in Italy. Works great.    Not sure what kind of phones they have but they definitely don't have iPhones.

Honored Contributor

We used Whatsapp for a trip to Philadelphia with people from other countries and it worked better than texting.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I will say we were all complaining about our battery life with it, especially the iphone people.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

BUT can it be used on my Tracfone from Europe to US?  I know you cannot call from a Tracfone...

Respected Contributor

Re: Whats app...

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

BUT can it be used on my Tracfone from Europe to US?  I know you cannot call from a Tracfone...

Does your Tracfone have the ability to connect to Wifi? If so, I would think you'd turn on the Wifi, turn off the data/phone service and use the app with your Wifi connection. 

Edited to add - on the Tracfone website it says you can text HELP to 611611 if you have questions. Perhaps that's the place to get your answer?

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Are you able to install the app on your Tracfone? If so, I don't see why it wouldn't work overseas. It uses WiFi/internet. When I went to Italy, I used WhatsApp to call my boyfriend. I would turn off data during the day and login to hotel WiFi to use the app to avoid paying the $10/day international data plan fee. Because of the time difference, that worked out fine.