Esteemed Contributor

What to wear traveling to Israel in March

Call from my daughter inviting us to go to Israel with her in May. Looking for suggesting about  what to wear (or pack).  How to pack, and I guess where to go would take up too much space.  But any advice would be appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: What to wear traveling to Israel in March

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

lucky you!

May or March?you mention both.

which parts will you visit (different parts of country have different climes - the Negev v Jerusalem, for example).

Frequent Contributor

You will have a wonderful time!

No matter where you go you will do a lot of walking, and youwill have some uneven terrain ( cobble stone, hills and stairs and wlking paths / hiking at ancient sites).

Casual clothing, maybe something flowey, a hat and a jacket / cardigan or scarf for visiting religous sites.

A medium size bag or back pack for daytime touring and a fun bag or crossbody for dinner or just hanging out. 

I never travel without a thin rain jacket, a packable downvest or cashmere cardigan and large scarve, no matter what season and where. These items can be all worn at once when it is surprisingly cold or one at a time as needed.

If you go in March you will have easy touring weather but potentially cold nights in the higher regions ( incl. Jarusalem).

In May you will definetly have some hotter days; don't forget your swim suit for the Mediterranean and the Dead Sea.

The food in Tel Aviv is outstanding, all in all it is a casual place.

English is spoken everywhere, so that makes it uncomplicated. If you speak or read Hebrew you would be way ahead of the curve.

Traffic signs are in 3 languages, or use internationally known symbols.

Safe Travels!

Trusted Contributor

We were there in late September and it was very hot. I  would plan for hot. It is a desert.

Valued Contributor

It is way to soon to answer this question.  You should keep checking the forecasts when it is very close to the time you are going.  My sister has lived in Israel since 1976.  The last time we went was in the beginning of May several years ago.  My sister chose the time based on weather.  It should have been great weather but instead they had a heat spell and it was hot -- and I mean HOT.  You really need to wait until it is almost time to go to have a better idea of what clothes to bring.  Overall -- Israel is a casual country.  

Respected Contributor

in general when i go i build around 2 or 3 color schemes - black white red, blue white red, brown turqoise, etc.  then my shoes accessories sweaters jackets can be kept at a minimum.  i like to be fresh at night so probably take more than most.

i take a large bag and a weekend bag (collapsible and packed if necessary) which i take for those overnight jaunts up to the Galil and down to the Negev for example.  i use Jerusalem as my home base.

if it's May sweaters will do - March you need rain gear of some sort.

what a wonderful time you will have! 

Esteemed Contributor

I do the 3 different color packing. Black, white and a color of the season. So easy to mix and match. I am very envious as what a great trip. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

MARCH... so excited I got my M's mixed up. LOL

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

MARCH... so excited I got my M's mixed up. LOL

it's great in March - can be chilly at night, especially in Jerusalem and even in the Negev and crisp in the day time but warm in the sun. . take rain gear. be sure to have your walking shoes so you can enjoy the amazing places to their fullest. modesty can be an issue at some sites and in some areas - modest tops w/ long sleeves, head covering.  i don't know your itinerary so will stop there.

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu  That will be a wonderful trip. Chances are that the weather will be beautiful, but I have been in Jerusalem in late March with snow. Yes, it can happen, but it could also be warm and sunny.