Esteemed Contributor

Re: What to do in Bangor and Bar Harbor Maine?

@Allthingsgirly67  We were in Acadia several years ago and took a carriage tour of the park.  Before the tour, I was not a fan of carriage tours, but one of the stops was the stables where the horses are kept and they live better than me.  They also explain where the horses go in the winter.  The horses are cared for very well, and Acadia is beautiful.  Take your camera.

We also ate at the West Street Cafe and had the lunch special of a cup of clam chowder, a lobster roll, and blueberry pie ala mode.  Delicious.  Eat as many lobster rolls as you can!

The town is lovely, so you can do some shopping.  There was also a variety store in the center of town (I do not remember the name), but I had a vanilla and pear twist cone that was absolutely delicious.  Never heard of that combo before, but I plan to get another one when I return.

There is also a lovely park in the center of town; and, of course, there is the water view.

Enjoy yourself.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

As already stated, there's not much to do in Bangor, but Bar Harbor is lovely, and Acadia is a must-see. However, you will probably need a reservation for Acadia. They had moved to a reservation system even before COVID hit, to control crowds. I do not know exactly how it works, but you should go to their website. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Several years ago we took an excursion on a real lobster boat out of bar harbor.  Highly recommend. It took you out to where the fisherman had his traps and showed you a lobster up close and personal.  He let the lobster go free. Also all about the rules and regulations of a fishing life.. Fun and interesting.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Love, love Bar Harbor, Acadia is a must, take the bus tour of Cadillac mountain.  The sail boat ride on the Mary Todd is very nice and relaxing. Go to Bar Harbor Inn and enjoy the Downeast Lobster Bake either for lunch or dinner, eat outdoors by the water, this includes all Maine specialties like chowder, lobster and blueberry pie. there is one main street with the usual souvenior shops, ice cream places, etc, great for walking around in the evening.  We stayed atthe Bar Harbor Grand Hotel, it was lovely.  Dont know much about Bangor, we went to a mall, all I can remember, only there for one night. 

Valued Contributor

vist ben and jerry ice cream and woodstock vermont they are very close 

Valued Contributor

Kennebunkport and Kennebunk (two different areas) are GORGEOUS little towns as is Ogunquit ...  Freeport has tons of outlet shopping including L.L. Bean among others ... the coast has tons of beautiful little towns ...  Camden, Maine is a fishing village ...  you won't be bored ...  not much in Bangor ...  you have your pick down the coast of places to stop and see.  

Honored Contributor

@meem120 We ate fried clams a long long time ago in Bar Harbor at some big old place over the water or almost over the water.  It was quaint and the clams were fabulous! 

Contributor

I'm with everyone else, Acadia gets my vote. The park is just beautiful. We've hiked almost every square inch of it, except for Precipice because the trail is closed in spring for the birds.

Park Loop road is a very easy drive. You can park on the road (in most places) and there are several parking lots to get out and walk the Ocean Path. The contrast between the pine trees, the rocky coast and the ocean are spectacular. 

At low tide you can walk to Bar Island and get a different perspective of the island. You can't go wrong with whatever you decide to do. Enjoy and safe travels. 

Esteemed Contributor

Acadia is spectacular. See if you can be there for the first, earliest, US sunrise. I admit, however, that my favorite memory of Bar Harbor, besides the scenery and whale watching, was the lobster. Stop at a lobster shack and order a pan of lobster, fries, and cole slaw. That was my lunch and dinner diet for ten days.