Honored Contributor

Re: What place overseas has the most history, that you'd visit?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qualitygal   Why does it have to be overseas?  There's plenty of history right here in the good old USA.

Did you know Santa Fe's Palace of the Governors is the oldest continuously occupied building in the US?  Built in 1610, it precedes the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock.

There's plenty to see and do right here at home.

Oh, Kachina!!!  First, she specifically asked for "overseas" places.  And while I agree there is a LOT to see in the US it cannot compare to places that have 1,000s of years of history, i.e, Egypt, Israel, China, India.  

Super Contributor

Turkey...absolutely fabulous and the people were so kind!

Contributor

Definitely Egypt!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I know I will only visit in books or documentaries, Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, Israel, Syria, Greece. Thousands of years of history.

Honored Contributor

Both Italy (Rome) and Greece have lots of history that's particularly pertinent to Western civilization and to the world, but I have seen both, so I prefer to return to England, our Mother country. 

So much to see there that explains our country's language, so much of our history...architecture, furniture, traditions, street, town, and city names and much more. 

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qualitygal   Why does it have to be overseas?  There's plenty of history right here in the good old USA.

Did you know Santa Fe's Palace of the Governors is the oldest continuously occupied building in the US?  Built in 1610, it precedes the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock.

@Kachina624 you disapprove of overseas travel?  I think she can travel where she wants.

Visiting other countries and learning other cultures is an enriching experience.

@NYCLatinaMe   Please don't put words into my mouth.  If one cant, for some reason, travel overseas, there's plenty to Ser here.  Hey you ought to get out of NYC and try it yourself.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I was thinking it might be Rome.  Would that be right?  Not that we'll get there, but, I was wondering.  If that isn't what you'd think, where do you think and what would you want to see?

We went to Rome twice 10-14 years ago.  DS was studying for a semester so we went to visit along with visiting other areas in Italy.  He was living in the Prati neighborhood which is next to the Vatican. 

We also went on a Mediterranean cruise and Rome was one of the cities that we saw.  Lots of amazing sights and things to see & do!  I really LOVE Italy and would go back in a heartbeat!Smiley Happy

I was just talking with a friend yesterday about a trip to London.  Since DH can no longer travel I might go with her next year.  I would love to see a combination of history....Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Churchills' war room, along with some good shopping (Harrods) and a play on the West end. 

I would also love to see Stonehenge & Highclere castle!

That would be a fun trip!

Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I was thinking it might be Rome.  Would that be right?  Not that we'll get there, but, I was wondering.  If that isn't what you'd think, where do you think and what would you want to see?

Egypt.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 you disapprove of overseas travel?  I think she can travel where she wants.

Visiting other countries and learning other cultures is an enriching experience.

@NYCLatinaMe   Please don't put words into my mouth.  If one cant, for some reason, travel overseas, there's plenty to Ser here.  Hey you ought to get out of NYC and try it yourself.

@Kachina624 She didn't say she couldn't travel overseas, she asked for recommendations and opinions about places to travel overseas, and you gave her unsolicited advice, just as you are offering to me.  You created a false narrative and are making judgments based on your own prejudices.

No need for your advice.  In this beautiful country, I have traveled, off the top of my head, to California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, where I was born and raised.  I have also met people from many other states and places that I have yet to visit.

How about you?  A little knowledge of history and cultural enrichment might help.

Honored Contributor

Have been to many places overseas. Used to live in Turkey. Much history there. Loved all the beautiful and historical places I have visited.