Super Contributor

Re: What is your upcoming travel plan, if any?

@SANNA wrote:

We are going to France.  This time we are flying to Bordeaux, staying in Saint-Emilion. Then driving to Sarlat ( Dordogne), and then to Carcassone (Langedoc-Roussillon.)

Very,very exciting !!!!!

How about you?

We went to carcassone years ago and loved it.  We stayed just steps outside the walled city. Magnificent.  On that same trip we drove to San Sebastián in Spain and would love to return.  

Super Contributor

2 years ago I went to Shanghai to see them. Air pollution was so bad we stayed in most of the time. My daughter was pregnant. Next year they move again, and I am holding my breath to see where they will end up.  Well, at least I am seeing the world!

Trusted Contributor

@software 

@proudlyfromNJ

You will love Asheville! Oh, the Biltmore house is amazing. We live close enough that we bought a yearly pass and try to go once a month. 

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego, my DH and I are on Empress of the Seas on May as well.  But we are going just to Cozumel. 

We purposely chose a smaller ship because it's our first time cruising so we'll see.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Alter Ego, my DH and I are on Empress of the Seas on May as well.  But we are going just to Cozumel. 

We purposely chose a smaller ship because it's our first time cruising so we'll see.  LOL

I've never been on Empress before, so it will be interesting after the largest ships in the fleet.  The ship was actually moved out of Royal's fleet and run for several years under a different flag.  Royal only took it back (with extensive upgrades that took significantly longer than expected) for the sole expectation that Cuba will open its ports.  

In other words, it is not necessarily indicative of the newer ships.  The rooms are much smaller, so don't let that influence you.  The staff is supposed to be good, as smaller ships sometimes are better known for.  They are supposed to have a nice brunch on sea days too. Don't miss Quest (even if you just watch; I've never participated ) and Love and Marriage, if they have them.

Is this an overnight in Cozumel?  I think it was doing that.

Contributor

We have no big plans for this summer, other than a couple of smaller U.S. trips. 

The end of May I'm going to head to Key West to watch my 8 year old granddaughter while her older sister & mom take an "End of 8th Grade" week-long cruise to Cuba. Our son, who's a Coast Guard Chief, will be doing some work at his new station on Marathon key.

We also plan to visit New Orleans to spend some time with our older grandson & extended family. Always enjoy seeing everyone & the New Orleans area in general.

In October I usually visit our daughter & her family in Ohio. It's fun just hanging out with the family & doing things like going to high school football games. Love seeing the change of seasons also!

In April/May 2016 my husband & I spent 3 weeks in Italy to celebrate our 45th anniversary. After being home for a couple of months I came up with a plan to take our 4 oldest granndaughters (they'll be 15-1/2, almost17, 18-1/2, 21 years old) to Italy in June 2018, for about 3 weeks. This will be our 4th visit to Italy, so I'm picking out things I think the girls will like and/or should see, but I certainly don't want to overwhelm them with museums. I also want them to be able to explore a bit on their own. We're really looking forward to this trip!

LT

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I've never been on Empress before, so it will be interesting after the largest ships in the fleet.  The ship was actually moved out of Royal's fleet and run for several years under a different flag.  Royal only took it back (with extensive upgrades that took significantly longer than expected) for the sole expectation that Cuba will open its ports.  

In other words, it is not necessarily indicative of the newer ships.  The rooms are much smaller, so don't let that influence you.  The staff is supposed to be good, as smaller ships sometimes are better known for.  They are supposed to have a nice brunch on sea days too. Don't miss Quest (even if you just watch; I've never participated ) and Love and Marriage, if they have them.

Is this an overnight in Cozumel?  I think it was doing that.

I wasn't so sure we'd be interested in the bigger ships because of the crowds.  I read so many negatives about waiting a really long time to get tenders, crowds at dinner, overcroweded pools......I don't know.  I know there are people that complain about everything so.  LOL  We have friends going next week on Oasis of the Seas so I'll see what they think.  They did Empress first and their only complaint was that it had nothing to do for their kids.       

Cozumel is not overnight.  We leave on a Sunday afternoon and that day and Monday we are at sea. We arrive on Cozumel Tuesday morning but have to be back Tuesday afternoon. We leave Cozumel Tuesday at 5 and arrive back to Tampa on Thursday morning and come home.  

Thanks for the tips on what to do!

Honored Contributor

June is our 46th anniversary.  My husband always plans an island trip.  I never know where we are going until we get to the airport.  When I book vacations I scour sites, looking for the best deals.  My husband cannot be bothered with that.  His colleague's wife was a travel agaent so she usually has suggestions.  He never disappoints.

The last week in July and first week of August we are going to Ireland and Italy.  We will rent a house in both countries and our son and his family will join us for the last few days in Ireland and the first few in Italy. This will give my husband and I some alone time at the beginning and end of the vacation.

Everyone, enjoy your vacations wherever they may be.

Honored Contributor

In May, I'm going to NYC with my daughter for a few days.  Late August I head out to England, Wales, and Scotland. 

Honored Contributor

We're going to London for a week in July.  We've been so often that it's almost like home to us but there's always something new to do and experience.