Respected Contributor

Re: What is going on with these Ridiculous/high airfares?

[ Edited ]

Delta has a one way fare PHL-TPA for $140.80 on 5/10 & 5/11. On 5/12 it goes up to $180.80. Keep in mind that's only one way and it's a basic economy fare. That means you can't make any changes of any kind for any reason, your seat will be assigned at the gate (NO advance seat selection), and the fare isn't eligible for medallion or mileage upgrades. You'll be in the last boarding group and therefore won't likely be able to use the overhead as it'll be full. There are a bunch of other restrictions that you'd want to read very carefully. A regular main cabin fare is $155. Still not refundable or changeable, and you'd still have to pay to check a bag, but you would get to choose your seat at the time of booking. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FrostyBabe1

thank you I forgot about Delta although I prefer nonstop (no stop in Atlanta - I've gotten stuck there for missed connection plane late last time-not fun- slept in terminal for am flight next day).

my friend suggested Allegiant but I've never heard anything good about them & I have to be home Preferably by 5/12 dr appt. I've had for 6 months & hate to reschedule.

im not going to book til I see if airlines offer any sale on Tuesday Like they normally do.

Super Contributor

I will need to book a non-stop thru Jet Blue for the week of Thanksgiving 2017.   I visit often  to So.CA to see my son and his wife. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

if you can fly out of BWI to TAMPA on southwest, they have a $67 fare going and a $167 return flight. my daughter and her boyfriend take that flight often. both have multiple flights at these prices AND non-stops.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1

The problem that you may be running in to is that you're now less than 14 days from your desired departure date. Most discounted fares require a 14-21 day advanced purchase. If you took that same trip on 5/17 instead of 5/10 (I know you can't because of an appointment, but it's just an example), the basic economy fare on Delta would be $106.80 with main cabin being $120.80. The closer you get to departure, the more expensive it will be. If you found something on Southwest that's acceptable, I'd be very surprised if it gets any cheaper in the next 10 days. 

As for Allegiant...I wouldn't fly them if they paid me .

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1

I guess I'm spoiled I never pay full price - I am retired and normally I just see super cheap airfare & buy it for a quick trip (4-5 days).

my mistake this time was "life" got in the way and totally forgot to check return fares. I was trying to work around visiting someone while I was there & when I talked to them decided on booking flight home.  Within 4 hours fares skyrocketed! 

I did call SW and someone here mentioned the "overbooking" thing that they no longer are doing, therefore, when you see a low fare (wanna get away on SW) have to book it. They only have so many seats in the lower fare.

just dumb on my part but I certainly appreciate all the info. I hate to say it but as much as Frontier is a la cart I don't buy seat or check bag. So if it's $29 that's what I pay. They are now pushing their "discount den" club so if you don't join (additional $50 can only be bought when you book ticket) then price is $50-80 more.

its just very convenient to my destination. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you posters for all your suggestions!

I waited until this morning and checked Frontier as they fly directly into my area - flight was $40.13 (tax was more than air!).

Anyway, I am able to pick the day I wanted and of course, I don't need all the extras just a flight!

Thanks again! 🙂

Homedecor

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@homedecor1

The problem that you may be running in to is that you're now less than 14 days from your desired departure date. Most discounted fares require a 14-21 day advanced purchase. If you took that same trip on 5/17 instead of 5/10 (I know you can't because of an appointment, but it's just an example), the basic economy fare on Delta would be $106.80 with main cabin being $120.80. The closer you get to departure, the more expensive it will be. If you found something on Southwest that's acceptable, I'd be very surprised if it gets any cheaper in the next 10 days. 

I've heard that about Allegiant and Spirit.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@homedecor1

I've heard that about Allegiant and Spirit.

Here's one very big reason why I won't fly on Allegiant:

http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/investigations/allegiant-air/faa-oversight-breakdown-plane/

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!