Honored Contributor

Re: What is Your Favorite Travel Souvenir...

i collect a shot glass from whereever i am traveling. they are nice conversation starters whenever i have guests.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I also like to pick up a piece of local art (if not too big or expensive). 

Honored Contributor

My pictures are a big part of my souvenirs.  I pick out my favorites - I usually take a lot - and scrapbook them into an album.  When I do buy a souvenir it has to be something that represents the area or the culture or the people of the place I'm visiting.  I'd rather buy one special thing that really speaks to me about the trip and makes me smile with happy memories of the trip when I look at it.

I remember last year when I went to Ireland, I bought my daughter a Waterford crystal ring holder.  My mother had given her one when she was in her early teens and her cat knocked it off her dresser and broke it.  My DD was heartbroken as my mom had died and it had even more sentimental value.  The one I got her was heart shaped and since my dad was from Ireland and is now gone, I thought this would have a double meaning for her.  When she saw it, she looked up at me and tears filled her eyes.  Now, that was the perfect souvenir!

Respected Contributor

Having lived, worked and traveled all over the world, this is a hard one.  Among my favorites are an antique wooden lunch box from Bejjing that I got there almost 30 years ago, a pair of yellow and white gold earrings from Santorini and an 18K gold necklace that is my name in Arabic which I got in Dubai.  

Esteemed Contributor

earrings....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snow Globes.  

I have over 1500 (lost track after #1500) of them from the all places I've traveled to.  I had to have a room added to my house just to display them.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i collect a shot glass from whereever i am traveling. they are nice conversation starters whenever i have guests.

We just recently started doing this. It started when my sister had a gift basket sent to our hotel room in Nashville and it had 2 shot glasses in it.

When DH and I were recently on our cruise we bought shot glasses from Cozumel and from our cruise ship.  It's a small collection so far.  LOL I never bought any when I was in NYC so I have to go back.  Woman Tongue  

Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

DH is on a business trip to South Dakota.  

He was recently in the WALL DRUGSTORE in WALL SD .  I told him to get us a nice Wall Drugstore Christmas ornament  (wooden storefront scene) This is a famous Landmark.

He often brings me jewelry from his travels.  An early item I purchased was bracelet with little stones from The Grand Canyon, I was about 6years old and still have that bracelet! 

Keep Calm and Travel On,  CAT