Respected Contributor

Re: What if I get seasick on my Alaskan cruise?

Do everything that has been suggested here.   If you still get sick--- puke , brush your teeth and carry on.   Have a great time.

Honored Contributor

Just be careful.  My Aunt and Uncle when on an Alaska cruise and Legionaires disease broke out and they were on a top rated cruise liner.  Their cruise was over $10,000.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

If and when we sell our old house we are planning on a cruise to Alaska.  I am a fan of Alaska The Last Frontier and Sunday's show was about Atz's dream of living on a converted barge.  He was terribly seasick on the boat that took him to his mooring place.  So I'm thinking, what happens if I get seasick on our cruise?  Is there pharmaceutical help for this?  If it isn't correctable can I get off the ship and get a refund?  You can tell I haven't done much research on cruising.

I just returned from a 17 day cruise to Central and South America.  I was so worried about being seasick. I easily become nauseated on planes and rides at amusement parks.  I got a prescription from my doctor for motion sickness patches.....that I never even needed.  There were times that I noticed a little wave but it was rare.  I never got seasick and it was my first cruise.  

I can't imagine any cruise line would refund your money for seasickness.  But you can easily take care of your concern ahead of time by asking your doctor for a prescription for motion sickness patches.  They won't make tired like some OTC meds and they certainly work a lot better than most of the gimmicks such as bracelets, etc. 

Honored Contributor

there's patches & pills for that.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cruise on a regular basis.  Here is my advice,

Understand, motion sickness medication is NOT like advil. Advil you have a headache and in 1/2 hour you feel better.

Motion sickness medication MUST BUILD UP In your body to be effective.

When I take cruises I take my motion sickness medication 2-3 days before the trip.  

I take the 24 hour dramamine (SP) medication.  Also I take it every day at the same time.  Also I do not drink liquor in large quantities.

SO for example, my husand takes him motion sickness every morning at 9:00 am then he can have one drink around 9 pm.  But you can't drink excessively.

I think you will be FINE if you understand that you MUST take your MEDICATION AS DIRECTED for the ENTIRE CRUISE>

Even if you feel totally FINE, we take it the entire cruise up to the last morning when we depart the ship.

In cases where the ship had excessive rough waters I have taken a pill in the moring and one at around 6:00 pm to ensure that I did not get sick.  WHEN YOU GET ISCK The trip is NOT ruined but it is disappointing beacause it can take at least 1-2 days sometimes to feel totally better.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As was previously stated, ships have stabilizers and it's especially difficult to get sea sick on an Alaska cruise; particularly if you book a cruise that's goes through the inland passage.  Take an over the counter motion sickness pill starting the day before your cruise; I use the Equate brand from Walmart.  If you do get really sick and disembark, sorry no refunds!

Honored Contributor

I didn't get sick on that cruise.  Smaller cruiser boats that go to islands,I was not feeling well. (they handed out barf bags)