Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you add to luggage to make it easier to identify?

My suitcase is easily identified as it's unusual but my husband's is black.  We have bright colored tags on the handle with our name & address ( but not visible) and an orange strap around the black bag. 

I have apple tags but it's debatable if they are useful.  I lose contact when in the air but once I land I can pick them up on my phone & see they made the trip.  So it doesn't really help if they don't Smiley Sad 

Honored Contributor

Buy your luggage in an unusual color or a bright print.  

Trusted Contributor

A few years ago in the luggage area at Target I bought a bright fushia pom pom that is on an elastic cord.  It's perfect!  It's so easy to spot.

Honored Contributor

I use two luggage tags....bright blue and bright red.  I also add ribbon on the handle.

I have a story....several years ago before the pandemic, I flew home to the Philly airport.  The baggage claim area was crowded.  Multiple carousels with lots of people milling around.  I decided to not get too close to where the bags were first coming up so I stood off to the side a bit.

When the bags were coming up from my flight, I waited patently for my plain dark gray medium sized bag.. Thank goodness I had added the colorful tags!

I saw a girl pick up my bag, raise the handle and just start walking away!  She never even looked to be sure if it was hers.  I made a quick beeline towards her and stopped right in front of her claiming, "that looks like my bag!".  I reached towards the tag and sure enough my name was on the tag!  I couldn't believe it!  She just said "oh" and turned back towards the carousel.

After I got the bag and turned to go out, my daughter was waiting to pick me up.  It suddenly occurred to me that maybe that girl was stealing the bag.

I learned to be vigilant when waiting for my bag to come up on the carousel.

Valued Contributor

You can buy brightly colored straps on Amazon that you can put on your luggage.  You can use brightly colored luggage tags.  They also have decals you can put on the sides of your luggage to identify.  A homemade thing is to attach some yarn ribbon type things that are brightly colored to the handle.  We used to use it for wrapping packages.  Its hard to find now but years ago all the stores sold that yarn.

Regular Contributor

We put a bright orange yarn tied on the handles and a 3 " wide piece of colorful crafting tape right down the back of the suitcase about 10" long..... I don't really know if it is a crafting or decorating tape but it has a fancy pattern on it.

Honored Contributor

Probably 20 years ago my husband and I traveled by plane with my 100 year old grandma, we went to visit a relative.  When we picked her up at her house she had a bright red ribbon, --fabric, tied to the handle of her bag!  She explained the ribbon was for easy identification!!  Smart grandma.

I have used that idea ever since.

Respected Contributor

Mine is a blue and white paisley print.  I've never seen another one like it come off the carousel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never mind... I just told my story again of my suitcase walking off in baggage claim....I didin't realize this was an old thread.