Honored Contributor

What Was it Like for You to Travel Years Ago?

While responding to @Alter Ego on another post, I was reminded of how things have changed over the years when it comes to traveling. I think it might be interesting to read what memories you have of traveling years and years ago compared to now, and how it has changed. Those of us up in years will probably have more to share on changes seen, but I would love to reminisce with you.

For instance, here are a few of the things that have changed since I first started traveling when I was nine.

• Flight to Hawaii was around 10 hours one way from the West Coast, and my mother packed a lot of things to keep me occupied while in the plane: crossword puzzles, coloring books, etc.
  • Women frequently wore hose/heels, and sometimes fancy hats (with netting on it).
  • Flight attendants were called stewardesses, because they were mainly women. In fact, I don't ever remember a male in that position.
  • Women carried cosmetic cases.
  • We always brought hairdryers with us because those were not automatically in each hotel room, as they frequently are now.
  • The way to wear your hair at that time was to have big, bouffant-type styles, which meant we had to take at least a couple of cans of hairspray.
  • With that kind of hairstyle, my sister and I needed to bring our metal rollers, which we tried to sleep on; and, of course, mom used lots of bobby pins to keep her curls in place while she slept. And then there was the ever present hairnet.
  • Luggage was hard and not soft-sided; mine was white Samsonite. The wheels on the luggage were very, very small and it was hard to roll. They were also heavy compared to today’s luggage.
  • Only soft sided luggage I saw was very heavy leather.
  • We took lots and lots of jewelry, because we always dressed up for dinner. I almost never take jewelry now.
  • We would take TWO pieces of checked-in luggage, and they were the 28” size back then.
  • We took small, travel irons, because most clothes needed the wrinkles taken out of them after being packed.
  • We took rolls and rolls of film, because you never knew if the first photo you took of something would come out….maybe you moved and it would be blurred. I remember taking around 20 photos of the Eiffel Tower on one trip, from all angles, just in case I didn’t have the right setting. Then you had to wait a week to get your film developed. For years I kept those negatives just in case I needed to make some more photos, but those photos would fade away, with the colors becoming neutral.
  • My father always carried a special case that held all the different lenses for his camera. The case was heavy leather.
  • Depending upon the time of the month, I could have loads of Kotex/Tampons taking up space in my luggage.
  • We had physical tickets that had to be punched at the airport. Stewardesses would also punch them when we went onto the plane.
  • Alarm clocks were a necessity; no smart phones on the horizon back then.
  • We took lots of underwear, because the thickness back then didn’t allow for quick drying overnight. Mom would, however, pack clothespins for when we were in one spot for a few days.
  • Many times we would use the hanging bags for some of our more important clothes and the stewardesses always found places to hang them.
  • I don’t remember getting on a plane back then where I didn’t have to climb the steps to go inside. Now, I rarely have to climb the steps to a plane. Most places I go to now, the terminal is at a height where you just walk right in at the correct level/height of the plane.
  • Our local airport did not charge for parking your car and there was no need for a patrolman to keep an eye on the cars. Times have changed, right?
  • We also packed nice gloves, the kind you would wear to church. That was for when we went to dinner. My mother had a whole drawer just for gloves (short or up to the elbow) when I was growing up.
  • We always packed our clothes with tissue paper. Mom made sure we were careful when folding our dresses so that the tissue placement helped reduce the ironing needed once we arrived at the hotel.
  • We would put little sachet bags in our suitcase so our clothes smelled fresh; and then put those bags in the drawers at the hotel.
  • Our luggage and cars (bumper) always had stickers on them that showed which state or tourist place we had stopped to see. My dad’s luggage was just plastered with them. He had been to so many places as he frequently traveled for business reasons. Same with his briefcase.
  • I don’t recall different levels of service (first class, business class, tourist/coach). It seems we all traveled at the same class. 

If none of this brings back memories, then you are much younger than me; and if you remember trunks being used for traveling on ships, then you are older than me! LO!

I would love to read what you remember about traveling years ago. What changes have you noticed; the good, the bad, and the ugly! ha!

Honored Contributor

Re: What Was it Like for You to Travel Years Ago?

Didn't read your entire post.  But my DH and I frequently congratulate ourselves on the fact that since we met in 1976 we did the bulk of our travels pre 9/11.  Travel was miuch easier, cheaper, less crowded and much less stressful back then.  Planes way under 100% full were miuch more common--I remember flying from NYC to LA on a 747 where there were under 100 people on board and we had rows of seats to ourselves.  

We still travel but are so glad we did what we did when travel was much simpler.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the warm memories!! Woman Very Happy

I also remember dad's camera case. And mom's hard-back Samsonite makeup case. With the wire rollers. Woman Very Happy

I remember fondly how travelling by air in the 1970s and early 1980s was meant to be a pleasant and relaxing experience. The stewardesses were not over-worked and took pains to make sure all the passengers were happy.

I remember flights in which the planes were mostly empty and the stewardesses would let you pick whatever seats you wanted. I remember laying across multiple seats to take a nap.

Deregulation in the 1980s changed all that, and within the span of just a few years air travel became mad and insane. <sigh>

Respected Contributor

The post 9/11 hassles for flying aside, I haven't noticed any real issues. DH does not drive long trips anymore, so we fly and rent a car at our destination. I have so many more clothing options that forces me to plan better. I'm just glad we are healthy enough to go visit family and friends.

Super Contributor

I was lamenting air travel memories a few days ago.  Watching a line up of choices for National Potato Chip Day and seeing Terra Chips reminded me of the many trips with Midwest Airlines.  One could not beat the exceptional food with wine served on the flights.  Offerings were real meals and snacks were unusual and I believe Midwest may have introduced the fresh baked chocolate chip cookies in flight concept.  I am grateful that I was traveling when this was available.  Travel was fun then.

Honored Contributor

@StylishLadywrote:

The post 9/11 hassles for flying aside, I haven't noticed any real issues. DH does not drive long trips anymore, so we fly and rent a car at our destination. I have so many more clothing options that forces me to plan better. I'm just glad we are healthy enough to go visit family and friends.

Yes, not only has flying become more difficult but so has driving.  After our last long distance drive from Henderson, NV to Chicago we won't be doing any more.  Too many trucks and crazy drivers on the road now.  In the past we did 3 cross country trips so we're done.  

Regular Contributor

@World Traveler I actually remember when we were first married back in the early 80s, the back of the plane was for smokers. But, before you knew it, the whole cabin was full of smoke. I remember most of the things you mentioned above. We mostly traveled in the 80s, 90s and some in the 2000s. Things have definitely changed. 

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  What a wonderful post.  It gave me the BIGGEST smile.  Besides bringing back so many memories for me when traveling throughout the decades,  I remember when my husband and I were dating long distance.  I lived in NY and he in CHicago.  When I would fly back home from Chicago, he would walk me to my gate. I remember starting to tear up because I was already missing him and the women on line comforting me and telling me not to cry!   Loved that family could actually go to the gate with you.  Also liked being able to take all of my make up and supplies in my carry on.

SOOOO MANY CHANGES, and not for the better as far as comfort and convenience.  No security lines to deal with ...   it's a very different world.  Sadly, most of the changes are necessary now.

Respected Contributor

I started doing more travel when I turned 19 to 20 years old.  I did a lot of cruises and beach vacations with my girlfriends.  I can remember:  when smoking was allowed on planes, you didn't pay for your luggage, meals were served at no extra charge, many times have an empty seat between you and another passenger or even better the whole row!  (that never happens anymore).  I'm back on the East Coast after living in California for 16 years.  We're closer to our family and don't need to fly like we used to.  I'm thankful for that.

Honored Contributor

@MissMaggieMoo Oh my goodness! Forgot all about the smoking that was allowed in the planes years ago.