Respected Contributor

Dh has wanted to go for a long time. We finally went and it was amazing!  Visited The Vatican, Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps.  Also went to Florence, Assisi, Venice, Capri, Sorrento.  We walked 45 miles in 10 days of touring.

Only downside was long plane flight.

Just wondered if anyone else has gone and if so, what was your favorite part of your trip? 

Respected Contributor

So happy for you. We've been going for more years than I care to count! We pick an area and stay there to explore and  to just hang out. And sometimes we go back to a place we have loved to dig deeper into the culture and history and to see old friends again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kalli:  We love Italy!  Glad you got to Assisi (forget the name of the Cathedral which incorporates both his birthplace as well as where St. Francis died-- one of the most amazing shrines ever).  If you didn't download Rick Steve's free guided tours of Vatican, Colosseum, Foreum, etc, plan on using them next visit.  We also enjoyed the little town where the Pope has his Summer Palace.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli  Sounds great! How did you get to do so much? Did you book a trip via a touring company. I would love to go with my DH in the near future. 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Went to Italy!

[ Edited ]

I’ve been to Italy a few times, mostly as cruise ship stops. One of the cruises actually went to mostly Italian stops - leaving from Civitavecchia (Rome), and going to Portofino (yummiest gelato), Florence (overnight), Naples, Sicily, and Venice (overnight). The only non-Italian stop was Dubrovnik. Great (and some not so good) memories from all! (Not so great because I almost killed my mother from the heat, but she rallied the next day for one of our favorite days in Tuscany - where my mother - who refuses to speak Italian and says she doesn’t understand it - understood these three old guys talking about her!! Haha)

But it’s really so much nicer to go and stay in one area! Probably my favorite trip was the one non-cruise, going to Lake Como for a few days and then to Milan for a few more. From Milan, we took train rides to Verona and Parma. My mother and I just thought we were so funny bringing back Parmesan cheese from Parma! We were just able to relax more on that trip - not racing around to see all the main sites. Well, except for The Last Supper. I’m not going to Milan and not see that!!

Esteemed Contributor

Usually we book a cruise that departs Italy and we arrive a week early and stay at a b&b one hours train ride from Rome and arrange our own travel thru b&b or use public transportation in Rome.

Contributor

Re: Went to Italy!

[ Edited ]

I loved Italy too although Paris is my all time favorite.  In Italy Rome was most significant.    Being a Catholic St Peters Square looked smaller than on TV but inside the Church you felt like a miniature person.  Pisa was a good surprise city, was really pretty and my personal favorite was Ravello on the Amalfi Coast.  A small gated town overlooking the sea with vineyards on a mountainside.  Travel as much as you can. The world is for all of us to share.  

Valued Contributor

I am in Bibione now visiting my mother for a couple of months.It is near Venice.I love taking long walks to the lighthouse at the beach.

Super Contributor

it was many years ago but in addition to all the wonderful places I visited I still remember the Blue Grotto off Capri and Pompeii as being very special.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli  Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We did not get to Capri and Sorrrento as you did, but visited the other places and thoroughly enjoyed each one.