Respected Contributor

We have visited DC many times and always find new and different activities. This trip we visited the Africian American Museum of History and Culture. We enjoyed it but thought it was poorly managed. We had difficulty locating "maps" of exhibits and they had few employees strategically placed. We did not get the (free) passes when offered a month in advance and did not get in by logging into the system at 6:30 am same day. We did get passes by mid morning. TIP: we found out that veterans and one other can be admitted at any time without an official pass. The crowds were massive with lots of bus loads of students. It was so crowded that you had to wait in line to get into the shop. 

We took the Patomac River Taxi from the Warf to Old Town Alexandria. It also goes to the National Harbor and Georgetown. It took about 20 minutes but they have no real "schedule" When you ask so when will the return be back? The answer is "in about an hour or so." 

We saw a performance at Fords Theatre which was interesting. 

Discovered that the National Portrait Museum opens later and closes later(7pm) than most other Museums. Love this place.

We had been to the National's Ball Park but attended a game. Somehow overlooked the ban on back packs.....You could bring in a suitcase but not a back pack. So since our's was a little collapsible bag, we just unpacked it put the bag in a jacket pocket and carried in the umbrella and a throw. 

Happy travels to all.............

Honored Contributor

I live a few miles outside of DC in Virginia (thank you Lord).  Anyway, you are doing good coming before Amazon digs their claws in here.

They've just started advertising for jobs.  We here in Northern Va are bracing ourselves....believe me...hate to think about it.

I guess you know the parts of DC to stay way away from?  They're getting fewer and fewer these days.

Have a good trip.  DC/Va is beautiful this time of year.

Honored Contributor

What's your thoughts on the new-ish African American museum?

It must be very popular.

Some members of my family are of AA heritage & would love to go.

I'm in Birmingham, we have a civil rights trail that's very interesting.

@granddi 

Respected Contributor

@granddi  It sounds like you visited DC during Spring break, one of our busiest  (and most beautiful) times of the year. Kudos to you for braving the crowds at that time! I think the best thing for visitors to do is check the websites of the museums and attractions they plan to visit to get current information on hours of operation, restrictions, accommodation, etc. The requirements for Nats stadium change from year to year and their website’s the only place you can view them. DH and I were saying it’s been awhile since we played tourist. We’ll probably do it in the Fall when things have quieted down some. 

Trusted Contributor

I finally got the chance to visit DC for a week during cherry blossom festival. It was definitely the craziest crowds I've ever seen in museums but it was to be expected due to festival and tons of 8th grade school trip groups. 

We enjoyed DC so much we decided we definitely want to return again during another season to enjoy it with less crowds. 

We didn't make it to the African American museum but did hit all of the other major museums on the Mall. It was just amazing that these museums are all free!! We would just walk in and tour for a couple hours then try another museum later in the day. One museum I want to definitely revisit when it's less busy is the Holocaust museum. Even with the timed passes, the mob seen in front of each exhibit was too big to really take in everything. 

One of the most touching things we saw during our visit were several Honor Flights groups of veterans touring the monuments at the Mall. It was such a heart warming experience seeing so many people go up and thank the veterans for their service. 

Respected Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

I finally got the chance to visit DC for a week during cherry blossom festival. It was definitely the craziest crowds I've ever seen in museums but it was to be expected due to festival and tons of 8th grade school trip groups. 

We enjoyed DC so much we decided we definitely want to return again during another season to enjoy it with less crowds. 

We didn't make it to the African American museum but did hit all of the other major museums on the Mall. It was just amazing that these museums are all free!! We would just walk in and tour for a couple hours then try another museum later in the day. One museum I want to definitely revisit when it's less busy is the Holocaust museum. Even with the timed passes, the mob seen in front of each exhibit was too big to really take in everything. 

One of the most touching things we saw during our visit were several Honor Flights groups of veterans touring the monuments at the Mall. It was such a heart warming experience seeing so many people go up and thank the veterans for their service. 

We noticed the Honor Flights are not just WWII but also saw Vietnam Vets. 

The Park Service need to add more strategically placed Rest Rooms.