Honored Contributor

WOW airlines ceases operations today.

hopefully no one is traveling with their airline. my daughter had problems with them a year ago. contact your credit card company!

Wow Air, the Icelandic budget airline known for remarkably cheap trans-Atlantic flights, suddenly announced early Thursday morning that it was canceling all of its planned flights, leaving passengers on both sides of the Atlantic stranded after it failed to find funding to keep the company running, according to an announcement from the airline.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/wow-air-cancels-flights-closes-stranded-passengers.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

WoW...no pun intended...I was just getting ready to share this story. How tragic for people to be stuck in another country and not have the means or ability to get back home. The airline should be held accountable and refund the passengers/help with alternate travel arrangements.

However, this still will not help those in need of another ticket to get home because it seems as if the airline ran out of money. One traveller tweeted that another airline carrier was charging as much as $5,000. This is ridiculous and I would not want this to happen to my children or family members. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow!! it really pays to read the entire post lol. I read the first paragraph and was wondering if it was against the rules to say the name of the Airline. Continued reading and had to laugh at myself. I have never heard of this airline before, so at least I got a good laugh.

Respected Contributor

I read Icelandair has stepped in and offered to provide transport at a low few for stranded passengers.

Esteemed Contributor

WOW has had an excellent reputation and people really like flying with them.  I feel terrible for those who are stranded in an airport away from their home base.   The prices of their flights could not be beat, which is probably why all of their planes are grounded.  Budget airlines always scare me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

My understanding is that employees were also left stranded.

Honored Contributor

No offense but who did not see this coming?  When I saw their prices for flights to Iceland I told DH this airline wasn't going to last long.