Esteemed Contributor

Volcanic explosion in N.Z.kills tourists

There was a volcanic explosion on a N.Z. isolated island.  Five are dead but 20 something tourists are presumed dead.  A group of thirty on a Royal Carribean tour group barely managed to escape.  Additionally, a small group was photographed inside the crater one minute before explosion.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Volcanic explosion in N.Z.kills tourists

Wow, you never know what each day will bring . I watched the 2 video's posted by surving tourist's .  Sympathy to the families of these  victims.

Honored Contributor

Apparently the tourists were visiting via helicopter from a cruise liner.  The volcano is New Zraland's most active and regularly emits smoke or steam.  I wonder if tourists have to sign a waiver of some sort prior to visiting such a hazardous location.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr : I don't think they sign a waiver but the risks are listed in advertising.  The risk level when this happened was a 4 out of 5.  Even if tourists didn't know this the tour company knew.  Greed!

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

There was a volcanic explosion on a N.Z. isolated island.  Five are dead but 20 something tourists are presumed dead.  A group of thirty on a RoyalCarribeann tour group barely managed to escape.  Additionally, a small group was photographed inside the crater one minute before explosion.

We are, now, just reading - of the volcanic fire explosion was/ is 2 miles high.

We were there (close enough) a few years ago.

A gorgeous place ... NewZealand is, but TODAY's news is such a horrific tragedy. I am understanding this was a guide tour(??)

I never understood, though, the fascination being that close to an 'active' spewing eruption. I declined the attraction visit.

Seeing a fiery explosion of volcanic ash erupting that close is beyond my comprehension for sight seeing.

I have seen one of the longest - acting -one- in history from an airplane ....but, not from the ground standing.

Spoiler

Frightening does not even come close to any description I have witnessed. 

@patbz 

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been following the news all morning on Cruise Critic. A very sad story.

I understand that the people on the helicopter tour were okay; the people left behind were on the boat tours. The video posted by the family who was on the volcano only 20 minutes before was terrible to watch.
Esteemed Contributor

Found this on Cruise Critic/Royal Carribean site:

We each had to sign a waiver saying we understood the risks. We had a safety briefing. On the island we couldn't leave our group of approximately 25 pax which was accompanied by 2 guides - one in front one behind - we had to walk single file to avoid inadvertently standing on a vent. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A friend visited New Zealand and fell from the vantage point from which she was admiring a waterfall.  She lost her footing and landed on her head.

As she was told, if it had not been for skilled surgeons there who operated on her quickly and successfully, her ending might have been tragic.

This is a different story entirely, I realize, but somehow New Zealand is becoming associated with risk and harm in my mind.  One's house is the most dangerous place, it has been written, but most likely the high number of accidents in a home are owing to one's being there the most. 

I am sorry for those who lost their lives or were injured in the volcanic explosion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They knew the volcano was gurgling or making noises lately so why on earth did they allow these people to go inside of it???

I'm sure (sadly)  they trusted the ones in charge to know better....................

Godspeed for all those that died    Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

I was just reading that many passengers from that cruise liner also desired to go on the tour of the volcanic island but the cost was too prohibitive.  It was about $US350 per adult, a little less for a child.  Taken from abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/new-zealand-volcano-eruption-white island-australians-on-cruise/