Esteemed Contributor

We were told when we visit Pearl Harbor we cannot take any bags, purses, backpacks. camera cases.  Just wanted to know if anyone has visited the memorial and can give me some advice.  Can I wear a cargo vest, cargo pants.  Can I take a see through stadium bag?   I don't want to break the rules but want to take a wallet, a camera,sunscreen, insect repellant, and some lipstick or chapstick.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu...you have to check your bag. It gets put in a locker and you are given a claim check to pick it up. If you have cargo pants, you can carry your phone & necessities on your pockets.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife  Thanks  so much.  I am not going to take a bag.  I am afraid I will forget it.  LOL.  I will leave it at the hotel.  I feel if I can wear cargo pants and or a cargo vest I will have enough room.  I will bring a camera as well as a cell phone but the camera has a bag which holds an extra battery just in case.  And I though a see through plastic bag might be an option but not sure. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu...I recommend no bag at all. CRry the camera battery in your cargo vest of you can. They have a zero bag rule, even if it’s see-through. Carry Kleenex. It’s a very somber tour, but one every American should see. Aloha!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

Are you sure it's open? They were doing repairs. The visitor center is open.

Here is what I saw on their site

Visitor access to the USS Arizona Memorial has been suspended for several months due to movement of the loading dock and corresponding movement of the loading ramp to the memorial, which poses a safety concern for our visitors. While repairs are made, the USS Arizona Memorial will remain closed. Repairs are expected to be completed by March 2019. Updates will be provided on our website and Facebook page .

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We were told when we visit Pearl Harbor we cannot take any bags, purses, backpacks. camera cases.  Just wanted to know if anyone has visited the memorial and can give me some advice.  Can I wear a cargo vest, cargo pants.  Can I take a see through stadium bag?   I don't want to break the rules but want to take a wallet, a camera,sunscreen, insect repellant, and some lipstick or chapstick.  

I think the statue of liberty has the same rule 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Visiting Pearl Harbor

[ Edited ]

When I went there a few years ago I used a neck pouch for my phone and a couple of cards and just tucked it under my shirt.

Honored Contributor

Only the Arizona is closed. The visitor’s center is open & is well worth the visit. There’s a lot to see.

Honored Contributor

I would suggest that if you visit by driving a rental car that you leave nothing in the vehicle including the trunk.

The last time we visited, I left my travel bag in the truck.  I put my small wallet and valuables in my pocket because I couldn't not take it to the memorial.

When we got back to the car, I went to retrieve my travel bag from the truck.  It was gone.  There were no marks on the car and no signs of a break in.  The thieves took my brand new travel bag and my cell phone...and some other stuff that was in the bag.

I would recommend that you do not take a bag at all. Put your valuables in a pocket and leave your bag at the hotel. Do not lose your ID or license if you want to get back on the plane.

Do not ever leave anything of value in a car in Hawaii ever.  Those thieves are better than the ones in NYC.  They are super talented and work fast.

Esteemed Contributor

Going in May. Our last state to see.  I will leave my important stuff back at the hotel.  I assume they have a safe in the room.  I will however take my drivers license and one credit card.  I always travel with a passport and I will leave that in the safe.                                   

I  want to take a camera but might just end up with my cell phone.