Contributor

Hello Everyone!

I'm  57 years old and visiting New York for my first time this July. My husband and I will be travelling with his small dog. My question is where do we stay with a dog in the NY area? I know I want to visit the statue of Liberty. I want to stay somewhere that's definitely clean. Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Cindy

Super Contributor

I have always enjoyed staying at the Loews hotels when traveling with my dog..Have not checked out the one in NYC.. Also check out trivago..I believe they list a number of places.

Respected Contributor

Re: Visiting New York

[ Edited ]

I don't know where to tell you to stay.  But try to get to Grand Central Terminal, and take the tour if you can.  It's my favorite building in the city.  The intrepid Air, Sea and Space museum is fabulous, too.  All the art museums, of course, but also the Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium.  Central park, and the zoo there.  

If you don't get tickets for Broadway shows before you get there, you can stand in line at the TKTS booth and get them at a discount.  Still VERY expensive, though.

New York is a great walking city, if you're able to, and great for people watching, too.  Don't be afraid to take the subways for longer distances.... it's the quickest way to get around town.

There is so much to see and do, but you know that.  July can be very hot, so check the weather forecast before you go, and dress accordingly.....  Have a great time!

Valued Contributor

@aydinsgma, Since you're  traveling with your dog, it's very important that you find out in advance what hotels, venues and sightseeing locations allow pets.  Also, pets are not allowed in restaurants or stores where food is sold (i.e., coffee shops, pharmacies such as Rite Aid, CVS, etc.). They must be in a carrier if you enter these stores, and they must be in a carrier if you're planning to take public transportation.  If a restaurant has tables outside on the sidewalk, you might be able to keep your dog with you while you dine.  Do your research to avoid possible disappointment.  Enjoy your trip to NYC, and remember to dress lightly.  July can be very hot and very humid here.

Respected Contributor

Go to nycgo.com and you can read about taking a pet to NYC.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like taking a dog to NYC is a PIA.  I think I'd leave it at home. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Do yourself and your dog a favor - leave him/her home with a relative or with your Vet. 

New Contributor

I agree about leaving the dog at home. Unless it's a service dog your hubby has to have, there are too many issues with trying to sightsee and get around with a dog. Plus I'm sure all the noise and commotion would be hard on him/her. Have a great trip!  I will be there in June and do not look forward to the heat!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have been thinking about this topic. Is it possible to leave the dog home? You are going to miss out on so many great sights. Dogs are not allowed in most places with lots of people. Restaurants will not allow the dog to enter. Most places of interest will not allow the dog. You must get tickets for at least one Broadway show when visiting and dogs are forbidden. 

Respected Contributor

I forgot to mention, the Statue of Liberty does not allow dogs.