Respected Contributor

We are post vaccine so planned a road trip to Galveston Island.

The water was of no interest but chose the location because it was in driving distance and had outdoor access ie eating and walking.

We wanted a kitchen in case we were eating take out all days!

Our VRBO was cute, clean and close to things (but then nothing is too far). I was surprised that the only consumable item in the place was toilet tissue. There was no kleenex,trash bags or salt and pepper or even bath soap. I'm guessing that these rentals vary in what aminities are included.

Add on cleaning fees, owner fees are like "resort fees", just put all the add ons into the price! 

What experiences have you had?

PS the towels were nice. If interested they were Member Mark Premium Hotel that I will check out next time at Sams

Esteemed Contributor

We continue to have good vrbo experiences. Have been using this venue for 20 years. We've stayed from a few days to a month. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

We have rented a home for a week through VRBO for our whole family to get together (9 of us) for several summers.  So far we have had wonderful experiences.  The owners have been very responsive if there were any problems we encountered.  Most everything was there that we needed except for food.  Toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, dish soap, dishwasher soap, trash bags even salt and pepper.  Everything was extremely clean. 

Respected Contributor

I love Galveston!  Being from the east coast, we do not go there for the ocean.

So much history, so many beautiful Victorian buildings.  My favorite hotel there is the Galvez.  It is full-service with a sweet pool, in a relaxing and tropical luxurious setting.  It has a pretty restaurant. This hotel was built in 1911 and has always been popular.

We love to stroll along all the stores and tour the famous buildings, like the Bishop's Palace, which survived the famous hurricane of 1900. We also visited the Moody Gardens and took a boat ride.

It is also a short drive to the Houston Space Center.

Galveston is always busy on weekends as all the Texas city people come down for a getaway, just like all of us east coasters go to the Jersey shore.

I have no opinions on VRBOs as I do not use them. Why pay all those fees and have to do all the work (cook, clean, shop for necessities, etc.)? 

When I am on vacation, I like a bit of pampering!

Trusted Contributor

My experience has been that starter amounts of those consumable supplies were furnished. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I love Galveston!  Being from the east coast, we do not go there for the ocean.

So much history, so many beautiful Victorian buildings.  My favorite hotel there is the Galvez.  It is full-service with a sweet pool, in a relaxing and tropical luxurious setting.  It has a pretty restaurant. This hotel was built in 1911 and has always been popular.

We love to stroll along all the stores and tour the famous buildings, like the Bishop's Palace, which survived the famous hurricane of 1900. We also visited the Moody Gardens and took a boat ride.

It is also a short drive to the Houston Space Center.

Galveston is always busy on weekends as all the Texas city people come down for a getaway, just like all of us east coasters go to the Jersey shore.

I have no opinions on VRBOs as I do not use them. Why pay all those fees and have to do all the work (cook, clean, shop for necessities, etc.)? 

When I am on vacation, I like a bit of pampering!

We attended the University of Houston and went to Galveston many times. The Hotel Galvez is beautiful. Since we are NOT yet eating indoors, we asked if we could be served outdoors. The answer was NO. If eating outdoor, we would have to order from the outdoor menu and not the main menu (or even take food from the buffet outdoors). Gaidos does not offer outdoor dining either. That was a disappointment but not a deal breaker.Our VRBO was 1 block behind Gaido's so a good location but we still drove to The Space Center, Moody Gardens, The Strand and area. 

We did not expect a fully stocked kitchen. Just checking for other experiences. 

Yes, it is great to be pampered on vacation. This was a nice get away for now.