Honored Contributor

Re: Use a travel agent or do the planning yourself?

@Helen Bach  "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page."  Attributed to St. Augustine.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

There is a difference in the services of a TRAVEL AGENT and a TOUR COMPANY.

A travel agent can recommend and arrange individualized itinerary for travel. Also he/she can reserve transportation, special tickets or other arrangements you want. A travel agent can also recommend a tour company.

The tour company usually offers a trip with a set itinerary including activities, hotels, airport transfers, meals etc,

Honored Contributor

Travel agent for sure, they are the pros and know the ins and outs. They find good prices and safety is a priority. Have fun!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a lot more to just getting from point A to point B, there are the accommodations and tour arrangements too. Where are you going to stay, what are you going to do when you get there, etc.  

Start simple, by all means. There are also places you can travel that are all inclusive once you get there, Disney in FL  is a classic example, but there are other Resorts (Tropical like in Hawaii, snow in Vermont, etc that essentially do all of the planning for you. All you have to do is get there. A good travel agent would have some great recommendations and know where the bargains are.   But my message is just do it!!  You will wonder why you didn't do this sooner!  

I am a widow and travel by myself all the time. It gets easier every time you do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have travelled to many countries and lived in Europe and Asia; I also am multilingual.  I have travelled with and without travel agents as well as tour companies.  As a previous poster stated, it depends where you are going as to which option is best.  If I'm in USA or Europe, I'm fine on my own but if I'm in China or on the Amazon where I don't know the language and can't even read the signs, I'll take a tour.

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum Good suggestion about all inclusive destinations. Disney, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Las Vegas major hotels. 

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Bhvbum Good suggestion about all inclusive destinations. Disney, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Las Vegas major hotels. 

How could I forget Las Vegas?!!  

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@granddi wrote:

How could I forget Las Vegas?!!  

Sometimes we see raised brows if we say we went to LV. You savvy travelers know that LV is not just for gaming.

We have seen some great shows and performers. How about shopping or at least window shopping. Dining is an adventure too. We recently took a mini tour out to the Hoover Dam. No rental car needed. We have gone to LV for 30 years and I don't gamble. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Helen Bach- If you're a member of AAA, then that is a good place to start.  Their agents are most helpful.

Respected Contributor

I didn't even know travel agents still existed! I remember trying to find one locally,  several years ago, and being unsuccessful.  Since then, we've always made our own travel arrangements.