Respected Contributor

The new travel ban says people coming into the US (even residents) have to have a recent negative covid test.

My question is this......since some people have already had both doses of the vaccine, do they also have to be tested?

I haven't seen anything about this.  TIA

Honored Contributor

You would think so since they say the vaccine does not keep you from getting the virus but suppose to make it not as bad if you still do get it???

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Updated Travel Ban ?

[ Edited ]

after receiving the vaccines , there is no  testing to check each persons immune response to the vaccine . Older individuals  , due to aging their immune systems do not work as well as younger people .Also , medical conditions can affect the immune response . Not sure if these covid tests  work the same with the UK or South Africian starin of the covid virus

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, per CDC website 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

1F2CF41C-D723-49BD-A4CD-DF35B8F8AF9C.png

If you think about it, it's much more efficient to check for one thing rather than this person has that and this person has this.  Etc.  just a straight "everyone has this" period.

Respected Contributor

@Alter EgoThanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

Esteemed Contributor

I' m not travelling out of country until the "test" requirement is at least modified; DH and I would be on the hook for at least several hundred dollars to pay for test wn 72 HR requirement.  I agree where th premise but the execution of this requirement is ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

@patbz   I agree.  I was so looking forward to booking a trip ( I will have the second dose of the vaccine in two weeks).  The added cost and frustration just isn't worth it.  I will wait.  I will vacatioon state side this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

The vaccination protects you not others.  Until, more people are vaccinated and herd immunity is achieved our lives won't change that much as yet.  It is unknown if those vaccinated can transmit the disease and the efficacy of the vaccine against the current variants and those that develop in the future.  There is too much unknown as to what the vaccine does or does not do....so testing will go on for a while IMO.   I can see the advantage for private tour companies requiring all participants be vaccinated.  But, you still have to abide by airline rules and/or travel ban guidelines.  

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I' m not travelling out of country until the "test" requirement is at least modified; DH and I would be on the hook for at least several hundred dollars to pay for test wn 72 HR requirement.  I agree where th premise but the execution of this requirement is ridiculous.

@patbz do you have a Walgreens drive-thru near you?

I will be traveling and need a PCR covid test before we go and Walgreens is offering it at no charge.  The other places like urgent care centers, etc all charge.

They ask you a couple of questions and you  make the appointment online.  they only go out 2 days though but there are plenty of available appointments now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pink123 :  I read just this weekend that some hotels are giving free Covid tests; great big step in right direction.  DH and I have been fully vaccinated for three weeks!